2011-02-07 | Anything Graphic

“This is my company, which I opened in January 2010. As the name suggests, I am a freelance graphic, logo, and website designer. The ‘A’ is an initial with the hidden image of a pencil tip (drawing & sketching).”

Credits: Kevin Donnigan

22 Comments to “2011-02-07 | Anything Graphic”

Thomas Dale
Feb 7, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Very subtle, I like it. However, I didn’t notice the pencil tip until I read your description. At first, thought it was supposed to look like a radio tower.

boxerdude
Feb 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm

dang. i also didn’t see the pencil tip until it was pointed out. haha get it?

anyway. i love the concept, but unfortunately i think it requires explanation to be apparent. also, i love century gothic….. so…..

Kevin Donnigan
Feb 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Thanks for the tips and kudos guys! I apparently need to make the pencil tip more apparent :-) Still a work in progress, haha.

Sammuel Nevarez
Feb 7, 2011 at 7:23 pm

A bit more emphasis on the pencil.
very clean over all.

Stefan
Feb 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I was thinking Eiffel tower on first impressions :P . didnt see the pencil either im afraid :( But looks effective once you realise

ACID-KO
Feb 7, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Wack as usual. Damn, when was the last time you saw a decent logo on this website?

Sammuel Nevarez
Feb 7, 2011 at 8:45 pm

@ACID-KO

true.

Kevin Donnigan
Feb 7, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Sam & Stefan, thanks for the constructive criticizm.

The things I’d tell Acid-ko and his sidekick would be out of line and unprofessional, so I’ll keep that to myself.

I will say that constructive criticism to such a subjective subject would be a lot better to the people in the design community. It’s selfish people like you who fail to make the design world a better place and like to bring people down.

Not that you brought me down or anything, I just kinda laughed :-)

Michael
Feb 8, 2011 at 12:57 am

In all honesty, its not that good. the whole pencil tip thing has been done countless times, too cliche. you played it safe. try putting more thought into it.

Graham
Feb 8, 2011 at 3:02 am

Nice and clean – a great concept.
Well done.

kerrie
Feb 8, 2011 at 5:10 am

I find the bend in the A, the sharp point on the pencil tip and the horizontal on top of the A all too conflicting. I also saw Eiffel Tower and needed to read the description. If the tip was maybe grey like the font colour it would stand out more as a pencil, yet still in a suggestive way. Also the gradient is too subtle. I’m not a fan of gradients at all but if you are going to use one, then use one. With some alterations it could work very well.

Kevin Donnigan
Feb 8, 2011 at 9:23 am

Michael, thanks for the comment. When I made this logo, I didn’t see any pencil tip things in logos that I recall, besides JCD’s, but that’s different. However, that doesn’t say much though because I didn’t know a lot back then. :-P

Graham, thank you very much!

Kerrie – You’re awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. What you said makes sense and is a great idea. I didn’t even think of the grey tip (duh!). I agree with the gradient being too subtle.

This was one of my first logo’s, and like I said, I only opened my business in January of 2010. So I still have a lot to learn, however I have learned so much in a small period of time :-)

Thanks guys!

kerrie
Feb 8, 2011 at 9:41 am

Great attempt for one of your 1st Logos Kevin and congrats on your new business venture I hope it works out for you. I’m a firm believer in constant learning and as designers we only become better by keeping our eyes open, be aware of what is going on around us and listen to positive analysis. Just my opinion mind…best of luck!

Jessica
Feb 8, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Wow, it’s great to see so many comments on here, even if some of them aren’t as constructive as they could be, the discussion is nice.

On the logo, I think the what loses the “pencil” are two big things. First is the perspective created by the bottom of the A. If the A’s legs were to be 90* from the baseline, I think it would look less architectural and form a more recognizable pencil icon. Secondly, there is no squiggle from where it’s been sharpened. Not that it necessarily needs to be more overt, but I think this is why so many people miss it until they are told it’s there.

All in all, I think it’s nicely done. Any icon can be cliche, but if it’s representative of your business, that’s an asset.

Hannah Mendenhall
Feb 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I didn’t see the pencil tip right away, but I love it anyway!

Shannon
Feb 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Yeah Eiffel Tower for me as well haha. I Like though!

Chris Lane
Feb 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I actually saw the pencil fairly quickly, though I do agree with some of the comments about making it slightly easier to tell. The grey tip idea that was mentioned is a good one, and I was going to say basically the same as Jessica about the legs. They go too wide. It would make more like a pencil that my three year old would draw with (easier to hold!).
Sure, the pencil thing has been done, but so what. A cliche made your own can be just as original as anything else.
good luck in your future Kevin, Cheers

Designer
Feb 11, 2011 at 6:51 am

Why does it remind me of Paris?

Apart from the concept being too subtle the typography is quite uninspiring and needs a lot of work.

Kevin Donnigan
Feb 15, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Everyone, thank you so much for your constructive critism, input, and feedback. I really appreciate it! It means a lot to me. I can’t wait to start this project back up again in a few months :-)

Anything Graphic
May 16, 2011 at 10:53 am

Finally revamped my logo: http://www.anythinggraphic.net

:-)

Chris Lane
May 16, 2011 at 11:29 am

Personally I like your original design a lot better Kevin.

Berrry Website Builder
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:55 am

I think this logo is really special – great work indeed. I must agree with Chris though, I do prefer this original one :)