2011-01-05 | Starbucks

Tags: , , ,

Starbucks new logo design. More info here.

Credits: Lippincott

17 Comments to “2011-01-05 | Starbucks”

Dsign
Jan 6, 2011 at 4:37 am

I think the green should be darker. Give it a royal feel

Graham
Jan 6, 2011 at 5:33 am

Much cleaner than their older version. You could still recognise it anywhere though.

DesignFacet
Jan 6, 2011 at 7:59 am

I don’t like it. It was better with the boarder. I guess they did not need a designer for this.

Martin
Jan 6, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I like the idea of a darker green as well. Or, maybe a nice rich coffee brown. But if they want to simplify their logo I think the icon could be simplified even more. I don’t like the stripes down the arms now that they’ve dropped the thick border. They feel they have instant brand recognition now and no longer need their name to accompany their logo. They’re the experts but their logo is nothing like McDonalds or Nike which are so clean and simple and which I think are much more instantly recognizable.

Patrick
Jan 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Geez Apple does it so it must be cool to be minimalist. They were better off with Stanley Hainsworth driving the design ship.

Craig Reynolds
Jan 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I am quite surprised by how much negative feedback this logo is receiving. I for one like the minimalistic approach. I feel that Starbucks made a great decision in choosing to lose the thick border. The logo is instantly recognized and is now easier to use on a media ranging from a favicon to embroidery to a large billboard. I do, in some regards, agree that the green could be darker but I do not have negative feelings for the color it is as of now. Some of you will probably disagree with my feelings towards this, but there is no argument that this logo does its job.

boxerdude
Jan 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm

i was never completely wowed by their branding before – and this doesn’t make me any more attracted it. i agree i think they lost out by removing not only the heavy band but also the name. the lightening of the green is also a mistake, in my opinion. i think a mediocre logo got a mediocre facelift.

Jamie Wayne Guijarro
Jan 6, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Personally, I like the color just the way it is. It has that energy to make the siren stand out, plus I agree with Starbuck’s reasoning for simplifying the logo.

Here’s the link to their video explaining why they did it that way.

[...] CR Blog, Brand New, MSNBC, Design:Related, Identity Works, Logo of the Day, and Starbucks, to name a [...]

Logosafari Logo Design
Jan 10, 2011 at 12:34 pm

The split tail just doesn’t work for me. Why are so many brands changing their logo?

Daniel
Jan 12, 2011 at 5:27 am

what? thats a tail?

Logosafari Logo Design
Jan 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm

It’s a mermaid and I always thought they looked best with the fish like tail. (together) But, then it looks like they have never been for Starbucks http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/weekinreview/09heller.html

UtahRugbyGuy
Jan 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Personally I like the version with the words Starbucks Coffee on it better but with or without the words and green circle, this is one of the best designed logos in history. I know Starbucks couldn’t have got to where they are without making great coffee too but this logo deserves much if not the majority of the credit for making them what they are and to bash this version of the logo is just plain silly. It works either way because it’s a great design.

Jason Schwartz
Jan 17, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Have to say I like this logo. The updates to the illio are really quite nice and although some of the previous comments believe that no designer was needed to rollout this update, there was probably an enormous amount of time spent on the decision to remove all text.

Starbucks is expansive enough of a brand, to be visible worldwide without additional verbiage, but I do think there might need to be a complimentary mark with the brand name included.

Either way, this logo has always been beautiful and will continue as a classic.

James Fuller
Jan 20, 2011 at 10:16 am

It broadens the ability to use this logo internationally as well since the English letters are removed from the logo. It focuses more on the siren, which is iconic to Starbucks and will remain iconic for as long as the company exists. I think this new version of the logo represents well the direction of the company.

Jeanette
May 5, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I thought this looks great.

Clean, modern and true to what it was still.

Love it!

Paul d'Aoust
Sep 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I don’t think that Starbucks really needs their name in their logo anymore — they’re pretty recognisable.

I thought they’d changed the logo design lately — it looked different to me, but I couldn’t remember what the previous iteration had looked like. From a designer’s point of view, I noticed certain things that I had never noticed before — e.g., the inside circle formed by the fins and the crown, and the way the scales on the flippers carry on the same striped pattern as the hair. It made me realise that whoever designed it had a real attention to detail.