2010-11-05 | Free & Equal

Tags: , ,

“Times may have changed since the American Declaration of Independence asserted that ‘all men are created free and equal.’ But in many parts of the world, where people are denied their human rights on account of their sexual orientation, the battle for freedom and equality is still being bitterly contested. Hence the name of this newly established voluntary organisation working to advance the rights of sexual minority groups in the global south, who came to us in the need of a powerful visual identity to maximise the impact of their launch and campaigning communications…”

Free & Equal website. Via Logo Design Love.

Credits: Mark Studio

13 Comments to “2010-11-05 | Free & Equal”

Francis Peeh
Nov 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Paulo Fernandes
Nov 5, 2010 at 4:44 pm

By looking at this logo I am beginning to question whether the logos featured here, actually are good logos, or just selected randomly by Jacob Cass? This F logo is not unique nor something you would remember. It’s overly simple and I have no clue why this would win a prize like this. A 5 year old could have made it.

Jacob Cass
Nov 5, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Paulo, all logos here are selected by me, but not randomly. :)

Kit
Nov 6, 2010 at 6:38 am

I have to step in to support not only the selection of designs on this site but this design in partiular.

I think often the most difficult challenge a designer faces is to find the simplest solution to the most complex of problems, something that has been achieved with aplomb in this identity. I think one has to look beyond the simplicty and examine what this design represents. It is, as described a reference to the battle for equality and the use of an army like type as well as the double meaning of the f and equals sign is perfectly executed.

Jennae
Nov 6, 2010 at 10:12 am

I’m with Kit on this one. This logo speaks volumes simply, and that is often the hardest thing for a designer to accomplish.

Sittipong
Nov 6, 2010 at 11:17 am

at first sight it’s look very simple, but after i read it’s name “Free and Equal” it’s becoming attractive immediately.

Siegweg24
Nov 6, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Fine for me, too, only a very small problem with http://www.folkwang-uni.de/ and http://www.fh-duesseldorf.de and … but this is not directly connected, so – fine for me.

Stefan
Nov 7, 2010 at 11:47 am

I can see the meaning behind it, with the F the = and E all been relavent within the design, however yes its very very simplistic, perhaps a little ‘too’ simple :(

Jim
Nov 8, 2010 at 9:07 am

If you think of the logo in context; business card, letterhead etc. You can imagine how nice it will look. I don’t see how people commenting on a design forum can have the cheek to use the word ’simple’ as a by-word for ‘bad’. I makes no sense. Simple is simple, bad is bad, they are two different things. This is a good logo, and a bold statement.

boxerdude
Nov 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm

i love it conceptually, but i can’t help but think it could have been tweaked a bit to avoid being so top heavy and unbalanced…. it is VERY simple, which is excellent… but it looks unfinished.

Adamo
Nov 9, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Maybe its just the fact that I haven’t had a coffee fix this morning, but everyone seems to be talking about how they love this ‘conceptually.’

This mark has some strong positives, it is visually strong and has a powerful presence which seems appropriate to the brief – however this is only one element of the overall objective.

On contrary to most here, to me it feels like it lacks meaning or an emotional response. After seeing this mark, I’m left with no permeating feelings towards it, and inevitably left with no better understanding of who or what this company is about.

This is a good icon, and I’m definitely not saying it wont work, I just feel like its missing the point. Unless there is something major I am missing? Feel free to fill me in if I am!

clint
Nov 16, 2010 at 6:34 pm

im with paulo on this one. as much as i am an advocate of simplicity and minimalism, this one doesnt really resonate with me as ive seen this kind of graphic/icon before (as evidence of siegweg24’s links). the trick with creating something so simple and so obvious is that it should really have a unique feature that would make you go, “oh shit, why didnt i think of that?!?!?”

grant it, paulo, it is a nice logo. i just wished there was more substance to it that would make someone say, wow–how unique is that!?!?!?!

Ian
Dec 22, 2010 at 11:03 pm

only thing I can think is I wonder what it would like to have “distinguished” the equal sign somehow, even subtly, because that I think is the point of contention behind “simple/brilliant/designed letterform” and “no thought/too simple/don’t connect with it/anyone could have done it”. I think it’s a brilliant solution, especially given the context/mission of the organization, but I think the equal gets just a little lost. put another way, the F and the equal are a little “too equal” in weight :) , and I suspect, that the equality is something the organization would want to emphasize more… but I’m only guessing there.