2010-03-08 | Plentii

Plentii is a financial site with attitude. Geared towards Gen Y, otherwise boring and tedious information is presented in a smart, direct & often sassy language 20-somethings can understand. Full of edgy MTV-esque branded content, the videos, quizzes, articles, polls and live twitter fall comments make earning, spending & saving money fun.

The logo is part of a larger brand identity system we created, and was used in the website, stationery, online advertising, email marketing campaign, landing pages, banners & tee-shirts.The concept behind the logo (ie. what makes it work?)    The logo personifies the term “when pigs fly” by breaking the mold of the traditional piggy bank icon. It flying pig also illustrates how you can be successful when you’ve learned the right financial information, which the website can help teach. The modern, serif typeface is reminiscent of fonts found on currency, but brings it to the 21st century. The color palette uses “slightly off” greens from money.”

See in use here.

Credits: Monika Kehrer, Adam Goldberg

14 Comments to “2010-03-08 | Plentii”

Mimo
Mar 8, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Its not your normal type of logo, Its different, but good ;)

Duane
Mar 8, 2010 at 7:42 pm

While it is memorable, I don’t think the logo effectively communicates anything to its intended audience. Not a fan.

Jay
Mar 8, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I think it’s alright. I am a fan of the museo font, but to be honest it’s becoming a bit too popular, but that’s just my personal opinion.

I think the logo itself could use some refinement. There is no real value out of having the “t” and “i” connected, and also I am finding it hard to make the jump between “when pigs fly” and a piggy bank. It took me a while to realize it was a financial theme. Maybe a more consistent vector style pig with a $$ on it somewhere would drive the point home.

Natalie
Mar 8, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I don’t particularly like the color palette. It makes the logo look dull. Also I’m not sure if the pig image goes with the font.

Anthony Hawkins
Mar 8, 2010 at 11:58 pm

First, it is a picture which makes it difficult to apply to many mediums. Second, the text and the pig don’t relate to each other. Third, slab-serif typefaces such as Rockwell are the new trend.

When I see a flying pig I think of something that is impossible. In relation to money and finances I want to get the feeling of possible, not impossible. The logo is funny in nature but banking it is a serious matter.

Deano
Mar 9, 2010 at 1:18 am

There’s a lot going on here: pig, wings, radial gradient & some sort of fine, faint, filigree texture in the background. It makes a statement, bold and arrogant. Witch is ironic given the status of banking today. I admire the fact that this is conceptual.

Wow, this is slightly bizarre kind of creepy & almost cool…

Aslam A Memon
Mar 9, 2010 at 2:27 am

Why the use of the image in the logo? Reminds me of my identity class teacher – who used to ask in his very typical Italian accent “You are too lazy or what to illustrator that?”

Maciej Szylke
Mar 9, 2010 at 6:49 am

I like the concept of making modern, youth-oriented and amusing style for such “shiftless” and boring business. And as I am a fan of simplicity and symbolic treatment, here I like using the kind of illustration — I like when the authors know why and how to use it. Because there is no rule like “don’t illustrate” — it usually results from very bad and silly concepts and developments of illustrative pictures.
We have somehow similar try of making a brand for bank oriented towards young people. Actually it became one of the largest banks in Poland over few years but also lost its initial freshness.

Amy Stoddard
Mar 9, 2010 at 9:55 am

I’d like to see submissions also posted in black and white. Logos that look good coming out of a fax machine get my vote.

Dawn
Mar 10, 2010 at 10:38 am

I love it… L-O-V-E love it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I AM a 20-something, but the whimsy and cheekiness of this design absolutely capture my imagination. The t-i connection forms a typographical hurdle for the pig to soar over, and suggests to me the overcoming of obstacles. The color, background texture and even font all clearly say “money”, but with a hip and seriously “cool” twist.

I appreciate the tongue-in-cheek approach to the been-there-done-that piggy bank and, frankly, any company that can suggest via logo design that they can help make the improbable possible has certainly read their audience right. We “young ‘uns” want to believe that we’re much more than the sum of our peers’ and elders’ expectations for us – that we’ll bust out our wings and soar over the mediocre masses.

To reiterate the financial theme, the designer might consider inserting a coin into the flying pig’s back for more of that piggy bank feel.

Overall, this design is a brilliant match for the edgy web, t-shirt, etc. applications that it’s been designed for. You have my vote.

Monika
Mar 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Hey! Thanks for including our logo and thanks to everyone for your opinions and comments. It’s always interested to hear what people have to say!

Raja Sandhu
Mar 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm

This logo rocks!

Maceron
Apr 20, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Too complicated for a logo.

Hugo
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:44 am

i agree that the pig comes across as dull, but then again, an illustrated piggy bank is done and dead.

i like the pig, its awesome actually, but what about adding some color to it, or taking out the distracting background, its totally slaughtering the poor thing.

all things considered though, i like it, and I’m 25, ;)