2009-08-31 | Soli Photography

Soli Photography is a photography business based in Chattanooga, TN. Myself, Meghan Campbell is the head photographer. 85% of our business is weddings and we also photograph children and families as well. The logo is used as the primary look of our business. I also use a version of the logo without the vine design on the sides for watermarking my blog photos.

Steve didn’t want to see any examples of logos that I liked prior to designing my logo. He asked about me as a person, he really got to know me. He wanted to know where the business was headed, what were my goals. He asked what was my clientel was like and what they enjoyed seeing. Well the answer to the last question was my clients enjoy seeing beautiful things. They like the fresh, crisp photos that I produce, and they like how I make them feel. I wanted to, in turn, give them a look (the look that would be the face of my business and all business packaging) that made them happy and made them feel at ease. Steve presented about 5 different logos to me. Several of them were in circular designs. I enjoyed the circle design because it made me think of my lens. I liked the “sloppy”, rugged edge of the white line around the photo as well. The script of “Soli” coupled with the block look of ” photography” was perfect for the middle of the circle. To finish it off he added the blue vines, which gave it a natural, spa like feel. I think this one fit my personality and my business model best because it not only makes me happy, but it’s recognizable and doesn’t look like every single photography logo out there.”

Credits: Stever Hamaker

16 Comments to “2009-08-31 | Soli Photography”

Andres
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:00 am

One question. I had a brand teacher, an old one that always says “a logo have to be designed thinking in the applications” imagine that logo in an ad of 1 inch by 1 inch in a phone numbers directory for example, it will work?

Charlene
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:12 am

I checked her website and her work looks great! On the other hand I have to say that I’m against the logo. It doesn’t have an harmony, the leaves behind the circle seems much more as vectorials and also the brush circle… I don’t like!

Jabari
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:40 am

I don’t like it either. The colors don’t work well to me at all. I think it would’ve been better without the vines etc.

Meghan
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:48 am

Thanks for your comments guys! I do not know much about the design specifics of harmony within a logo, but overall I really enjoy all aspects of my logo. I like the idea of the vines because I can use that theme throughout my marketing pieces as well as just the chocolate circle alone. I thought about sending over just the circle part of the logo, because that’s what we use most often across the board in marketing materials and blog watermarking. You can see an example of this on my blog http://www.soliphotography.com/blog. Thanks again for looking (:

reyals
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:07 am

the colours work very well together in my opinion, the question is where is the symbolism? and how well will that blue stand out in print? it’s a bit too light. visually appealing, but lacks in depth. but then again, the clients opinion is what matters most…

Erica
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:15 am

I love the logo…very simple and elegant. It catches my eye and I thought the whole website was great. I think I will contact her to talk to her more about a session with my child. I think she is close to us location wise!!!

Amanda
Sep 1, 2009 at 3:33 am

As a children’s photographer myself, I am really drawn to this logo. This particular blue and brown combination pair well together and coordinate nicely with the warmth of Meghan’s photos (I just visited her website & blog to take a look). I also appreciate the flexibility she has in using the wide logo with vines in addition to simply using the circle part as a smaller watermark that can also work well in vertical spaces where the vine won’t fit.

For the person who posed the question: “where is the symbolism?”, I think plenty is available in this logo. The brushstroke aspect of the brown circle gives me a sense of Meghan’s putting her own hand to each photo, adding the touch of a true artist. The circle itself references a camera lens in some ways, and with the brushstroke around the edges, it can even look like the lens is moving, perhaps focusing for the portrait. The vines give the logo a somewhat whimsical, natural look, and after seeing Meghan’s portraits, this fits perfectly. She photographs in home and outdoor settings, uses natural light, and does so in response to whatever her subjects may be doing at the time.

Really nice job, Steve, and beautiful images, Meghan!

michelle
Sep 1, 2009 at 5:31 am

I also love the brown and blue together….there is a lot of use of those colors together today–it is very now! I agree with Amanda on the symbolism and would even add that the vines branching out make me think of life and the paths we go down….she photographs babies, children, sweet 16, families, weddings……she travels with you on the journey called life……love the site and the logo!!!

Steve Hamaker
Sep 1, 2009 at 5:41 am

Thanks for everyone’s critique of the identity that I created for Meghan & Soli Photography. I really think Amanda’s comments best speak to the direction I took the logo. It’s really all about who Meghan is as a photographer and the artistic quality each of her photos have. Whether you’re drawn to the blue and brown colors or not, these are colors Meghan enjoys. The vine is representational of the natural element of her photography and, almost, naturalistic finish of her product. It’s also intended to be a secondary element which can be removed in certain applications.

Thanks again for the compliments and criticism. Both are always helpful in the growth of a professional designer! And thanks to Meghan for submitting the logo.

brian
Sep 1, 2009 at 6:05 am

This is a great logo

Rachel Jones
Sep 1, 2009 at 6:12 am

I love the colors and the vine work. I do have a suggestion of making the emboss stamp look really look like it was embossed with a emboss effect. Then you would truly achieve a dimensional look.

Tareq
Sep 1, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I like it, but ?t needs lil work to be perfect, color, harmony etc

Nasami
Sep 2, 2009 at 8:56 pm

i like it but i wonder if it will work in a small size.

Rhian
Sep 3, 2009 at 11:40 am

The circle by itself would work better, it looks like a lens somehow?! I don’t understand the bush behind it. I don’t think that the logo will stand out if put with other photography logos, it just looks like any other photographer’s logo

Maff the Logo Designer
Sep 4, 2009 at 4:06 am

I really like the decorative Leaves and the brush style logo design. I agree with Nasami that it may not look so clear especially the word photography at very small sizes but it is a nice logo.

Noha salem
Sep 10, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I like it but the circle is enough in my openion