2009-06-12 | Saol

“Saol is a printing house with a twist. They print, finish, deliver and do whatever is required to get impossible jobs done. The first step in building their ID was to invent a tagline that describes their Unique Selling Point: “Print + More”. The visual approach consists of overlaying the company name ‘s characters, simulating an overprint. The colors for S, A & O are CMY + process black, following the rules of mixing colors in print. The capital L is green, as a visual pun for the “+ More”.”

Designer: Stefan Romanu

15 Comments to “2009-06-12 | Saol”

Tom OKeefe
Jun 12, 2009 at 3:07 am

Interesting looking in color with the overlays but would have to live in 4/c and never in any other color b/w or solid 1/c. You’re limited in how this logo can be used. I also pay more attention to the visual effect of the overlapping then reading the logo.

Callum Chapman
Jun 12, 2009 at 5:48 am

I completely agree with Tom!

Eric Schultz
Jun 12, 2009 at 6:07 am

Yeah, forget this one in B&W

rds-nltsgrafx
Jun 12, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Good call tom!The logo is alright but,I thought one of the “logo rules” was,that the logo should have an appeal even with out colors.Like all black!.
And in this case you wouldn’t be able to distinguish the letter “A”!

Stefan
Jun 12, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Thanx for the comments guys.
You have valid points. I aggree on a general basis.
As for the “logo rules”, I see them more as guidelines, derived from common sense (usability), not as a doctrine. In this particular case I decided not to follow them in a strict sense. There are 2 reasons. First, SAOL is a small company, not a corporation. Therefor their needs of implementation are manageable by myself. I don’t have to involve large teams of designers, an approach that usually tends to have it’s issues with consistency. Second, they’re a printing house. It is their job to cope with non-standard technical implementation. When pitching their logo, I informed them of the “challenge”. They were aware and aggreed the solution was worth it.

aldur
Jun 12, 2009 at 11:37 pm

looks fine, though it will be hard to print in b/w

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:04 am

Quick Question:
Whis is the top of the A croped out?

I feel like it is unnatural and unnecessary.

Other than that I like it. It is a nice logo to use in modern technologies. Worst comes to worst, a version with a bit more spacing for the A to appear can be used for fax communications.

nice work

Stefan
Jun 13, 2009 at 2:27 am

@DChuck: I cropped it to create a more dynamic shape, that leads the eye towards the O & L.

& ty

jeff
Jun 13, 2009 at 8:28 am

I cannot say this is considered a logo. It cannot be used B&W and I do not think they considered what will happen if their letterhead ever gets faxed…

SuperDave4eva
Jun 13, 2009 at 9:40 am

I know it is harsh to say, but I think I hates it.

First off I generally dislike transparencies in logo design. Secondly when you overly-overlap the letters it looks like a printing mistake.

I really don’t care what the design brief says I think this one is a complete failure. Sorry Stefan, I can tell you’ve put some time into this one but no amount of explaining is going to convince me otherwise.

I think the company Saol needs to scrap this one completely and start over.

mau
Jun 16, 2009 at 4:09 am

Nice.
What typeface is that?

Stefan
Jun 16, 2009 at 11:05 pm

@mau It’s custom built.

mau
Jun 17, 2009 at 6:04 am

gosh

SharwEn_LEe
Jul 10, 2009 at 12:55 am

I am not good enough to comment this logo.But to be honest,the first time i saw this logo, i try hard to figure out how many color it uses and what color is it.

griseltolstow
Feb 11, 2010 at 11:42 pm

I could picture it with several tones of gray… It should be a good excersize. I think is saveable.