2009-04-18 | Chong Fai

“This client is a traditional Chinese jewellery retail group of shops in Hong Kong (Chong Fai Jellewery Company), its target audience was focus on elder people before, but in today Hong Kong elder market purchasing power are decreasing therefore they need to bring a new image for the new generation customers.

The logo design was to keep the Traditional Chinese character for memorial reasons, but the form was to be redeveloped. The straight line form idea comes from diamond form of cutting and the square as a symbolic of jewellery stone, which uses this simple form to match the new generation fashion style instead of old fashion style.” ~Rex

You can see it in use here.

Designer: Rex Au

12 Comments to “2009-04-18 | Chong Fai”

SuperDave4eva
Apr 18, 2009 at 3:12 am

Makes me wish I could read Chinese. After reading the brief and taking a look at it in use, I think it looks amazing on the store front! 4/5

Nikhil
Apr 18, 2009 at 3:59 am

I dont think what to say…

I didn’t get the connection between concept and the logo.

Alex
Apr 18, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Hard to judge when I don’t know anything about written chinese.

Tom OKeefe
Apr 18, 2009 at 12:38 pm

is this a joke? oh no its not… its the logo of the day!
HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

Tom OKeefe
Apr 18, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I’m sorry don’t mean to be that much of a jerk. lol seriously some Asian writing can be very elegant and interesting even if you can’t read it. This logo seems very boxy and holds very little interest.

This logo adds to the reason I think this site is a joke. I still check it only to validate my opinion. lol

Lucy
Apr 18, 2009 at 8:29 pm

I read Chinese and I don’t like the look of the characters…yes, they are too boxy. Only the typography of the Chinese bothers me.

Shawn G. Strong
Apr 19, 2009 at 12:46 am

I’m on the side of those who don’t read Chinese. Just looking at it, I can say that I don’t like it but they have a different culture and, I assume, different opinion on what makes a good logo.
I do like the type beneath the Chinese characters though.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:10 am

I like it

If I could read chinese I’d like it even more I guess.

august west
Apr 23, 2009 at 3:12 am

Tom OKeefe: You’re comments are a JOKE, almost (dare I say) trollish. You come on this site, even though you admittedly don’t like it anymore, and spew your negativity around like you’re king of the design world. Take a hike. You are a joke.

As for the logo; I think it represents the client very well and looks fantastic in the sample provided. Sometimes logos don’t come across as well when displayed by themselves, but put them into context and they’re very cool.

KrazyCeltic
Apr 23, 2009 at 8:34 am

I agree with SuperDave4eva that the logo looks good on the storefront. My only complaint is the vertical alignment and the Windows symbol-iness of the diamond between the text Chong and Fai.

Ron
Nov 9, 2009 at 9:22 am

You`ve got to understand the chinese culture too undestand this logo…

just don`t understand about the diamond thing.

Good job, since you have to remind the memorial reasons…

Li
Jan 5, 2014 at 3:23 am

I read Chinese but I still don’t like it. The distorted strokes are very unbalanced and look weird.