2009-03-12 | Design Encyclopedia

The Design Encyclopedia is a database of articles about the basics for designers–movements, designers, organziations, etc.

“Notice the combination of basic shapes that designers use every day, in CMYK that double as the initials TDE. It is simple, elegant, and informational.”

Check out their smart ass marketing.

Designer: Unknown

10 Comments to “2009-03-12 | Design Encyclopedia”

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:20 am

I think this logo tried to be a bit too clever.

I saw a beardy smiling robot before I was even close to consider the “TDE” initials and I still have trouble figuring them out.

I would take a well executed logo over a clever one every day!

ESchultz
Mar 12, 2009 at 12:40 am

I saw an emoticon before the initials as well. I think the idea is better than the execution, although I do like the general image. If the characters were spread across the name maybe it would work better… I’m not sure, but I think a bit of playing with this would get it to work a little better.

Metal_Link
Mar 12, 2009 at 12:47 am

Wait, that’s a “T”?

I read, “+ D E”. A mathematical plus symbol.

Camille
Mar 12, 2009 at 4:58 am

I didn’t really get the tDE part, but I do like the use of the colors and the shapes.

SuperDave4eva
Mar 12, 2009 at 5:44 am

@DChuck is right on about this one. As far loving the colors, of course we love them it is CMYK! I also have to agree with @ESchultz that there could be some work done on the overall spacing.

On a side note, I would love to follow some the usual comment suspects on Twitter. Follow me at superdaveh4eva if you get a chance.

pk
Mar 13, 2009 at 3:33 am

nice but a total rip-off of an ESPRIT ad campaign done in the 80’s

KrazyCeltic
Mar 13, 2009 at 7:47 am

I saw tDE right away and love how the designer effectively took some basic boring initials and made them interesting, colorful, and relevant.

tao
Mar 19, 2009 at 3:11 am

I like it.

Brian Cassidy
Mar 26, 2009 at 2:28 am

I don’t know if I like this logo or not. I do like that because of their relationship to design (not a design firm or designer) they can get away with the obvious use of CMYK. I’d like to never have registration issues on a logo with out using a 5th pantone color. While I do like the composition and balance of the symbol to text, I don’t like the fact that it’s so hard to get past the thought of emoticon. …Overall… I guess I like it.

Stefan
Jun 12, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Wow! love it. Appropriate, interesting, good.