2009-03-10 | Tall Tales

Tall Tales Restaurant. You can see the logo in use here.

Hint: Look in the negative space for a duck & a head.

Studio: Duffy & Partners

26 Comments to “2009-03-10 | Tall Tales”

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:14 am

meh… could have been worse.
could have been better too, but it’s not bad by itself.

James Kurtz III
Mar 10, 2009 at 12:33 am

Interesting. At first I thought it was a brain. Ha! After looking further I like it better.

Paul
Mar 10, 2009 at 12:34 am

I think they have tried to be too clever here. The logo looks very busy, and I had to spend a few seconds working out what it was supposed to be.

The Toblerone logo acheives the same effect, but there is much less emphasis on the hidden elements.

Rahul
Mar 10, 2009 at 12:39 am

the logo is cool, but it seems like they serve deer rather than duck to me.

Jon
Mar 10, 2009 at 12:48 am

I personally don’t see the head, but I do see a duck and a fish actually, which is odd, but is that supposed to be the intellect of the logo? To see things that arent’ really there or aren’t supposed to be there?

Nix
Mar 10, 2009 at 1:35 am

Rahul:
I think duck and deer are both on the menu

Jon:
I see the fish also. The head is lost to me, though.

Conor
Mar 10, 2009 at 1:54 am

I see a horses head. I think. Right in the middle of the brain, right above the duck :p It’s a nice concept but the antlers seriously outweigh the deer head in my opinion, and I think that throws it a little

Alex
Mar 10, 2009 at 2:24 am

Looks a lot better in use… maybe a texture applied to the preview here would make it look better.

Conor
Mar 10, 2009 at 2:39 am

Oh wait, is that a fish above the duck? Looks like a salmon jumping from left to right…

SuperDave4eva
Mar 10, 2009 at 5:43 am

This is a cool use of white space, but it’s not an outstanding logo in my opinion.

Camille
Mar 10, 2009 at 6:30 am

Nice!!! I like this one a lot. Very memorable too.

Shawn G. Strong
Mar 10, 2009 at 6:38 am

I’d lose the “t” on each side, they look quite out of place. I understand the concept of hiding images in the negative space of the antlers but I think a buck with ridiculously large antlers would have sufficed. Trying to hide the other images makes it to busy and dare I say… A little ugly.

Euan
Mar 10, 2009 at 8:14 am

I think its great, its very interesting and gets people talking.

Emiloly
Mar 10, 2009 at 8:20 am

I see the duck, but try as I might I don’t see any head???

Emiloly
Mar 10, 2009 at 8:22 am

Ohhh grrrrrr this is like those stupid optical illusion posters that I can’t get either … What fish? What head? help this is driving bonkers!

Habs
Mar 10, 2009 at 11:08 am

LOL this is a great image because of the hidden pictures extreamly thoughtful! … as a logo not too much, very difficult to grasp.

Lin Chen
Mar 10, 2009 at 7:03 pm

I see a t-rex.

Lin Chen
Mar 10, 2009 at 7:03 pm

..and a martini glas xD

QF
Mar 10, 2009 at 7:21 pm

I don’t understand why the duck and the fish have to be there. It’s clever, but the negative imagery distracts from the strength of the underlying idea.

Jamie
Mar 10, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I like the image a lot, but the two “T”s just seem like an afterthought…

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I SEE THE HEAD!!!
at last after ripping my eyes out, I finaly saw the monkey face over the duck.

Hint: the jawbone is kind of detached on the bottom left of the face and it uses 2 antlers parts for the eyes details.

The salmon was easier to see thou

Belinda
Mar 12, 2009 at 1:21 am

I like it. The huge horns with the animals in the negative space really adds to the idea that it’s and exaggerated Tall Tale.

Leighton Hubbell
Mar 12, 2009 at 2:15 am

I think it’s cool. It’s definitely stronger in the usage context (see link). I like the fact that you have to stare at it a bit to discover the duck and leaping bass in the horns. Nice work.

KrazyCeltic
Mar 13, 2009 at 7:44 am

Very gripping use of negative space. I would only suggest a more dramatic font: probably a serif font. The plain, sharp lines don’t match and are overwhelmed by the rest of the logo.

Eartheo
Mar 13, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Ok, so there’s a fish, which is above a duck which is above a deer. When I saw the name ‘Tall Tales’, it reminded me of what my grandfather used to say: “I once caught a fish that was thiiiiis big”, but I can’t think of a similar quote that would be applied to a fish or a dear. Then again, the restaurant has a ‘hunting’ vibe and these 3 animals are what are hunted the most I think. I think it’s smart and it had potential, but I think it’s trying to be too smart and will be lost on the larger majority of an audience.

Samuel Jesse
Mar 17, 2009 at 12:29 am

It’s an awesome illustration but it doesn’t really work as the logo…