2009-02-14 | Zipliner

“Zipliner is a comprehensive, yet light-weight, web application that makes sending easier. With Zipliner, a designer or coder (or whomever) can offer his client a secure, lasting link or area to pick up the source files. The concept for the symbol was to portray this lasting link between sender and recipient. The idea behind using many lines instead of block text, was to give the impression of a network where each starting point goes into the channels and arrives at it’s destination”

Designer: Dache

10 Comments to “2009-02-14 | Zipliner”

Greg
Feb 14, 2009 at 12:41 am

I’m very new to design. (Very) So I may be totally off. I like the look of the logo but the multiple lines crossing over each other seem a bit jumbled to me and may not portray the ” easier sending idea”.

Alex
Feb 14, 2009 at 1:10 am

To me, it looks like a pile of gimp that an adolescent girl would use to make a friendship bracelet. The colors, and chaotic look of the strings gives the logo a child-like feel to it.

If I were to see just this logo without knowing anything about the company, I would think this was a logo for a ziplining service for children.

Not sure why green and blue are dominating the color palette on this logo. Why not just cut it back to one color for each line. It would make it much cleaner and less busy.

But enough about the negative, there are lots of positives here too.

I think your choice of font and font color are great and work well with the image you have created.

I think the layout flows well and the concept of transferring data from point A to point B is very prevalent with the circles at the end of the lines.

Overall, it’s a fresh an interesting way to portray data transfer. I think it would be perfect if you just pulled it back a little bit, simplified it, and thought more about what colors you choose and what they could mean to different people.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:49 am

Ultimately, it all comes down to what the customer asked for and if he is happy when he signs the check.

I personally don’t really appreciate this one, I have to be honnest. if something is supposed to make my life simpler on the internets, why is the logo such a pile of clustered cahos?

I get the idea of going from point A to point B, but if some colorblind person sees this, they will feel lost.

BUT if the customer likes it, put it in your portfolio with a signed refference behind it! it’ll show you can follow instructions and customers like that!

(I must admit I went out of my way to find the colorblind argument)

Nix
Feb 14, 2009 at 2:48 am

Love the font, love the colors, love the concept. But I am just not sure it works. I saw the connected wires, but it is far from certain everybody will.

Abbas Arezoo
Feb 14, 2009 at 5:57 am

Starting to see a lot of the same logos crop up on the same websites.

Interesting logo, I love the font, not so sure about the wavy lines but if it’s what the client was after then it’s a winner.

SuperDave4eva
Feb 14, 2009 at 6:16 am

This one doesn’t do it for me, although I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a huge fan of using transparencies in logo design.

In my opinion, this logo is not a good representation of the organization behind it. I do like the typeface and can appreciate the concept, but it ultimately makes me think of zip ties… which are (ironically enough) commonly used to bundle electrical cables and wires.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:39 am

@Dave
now that you mention it, I see the Tie Wrap (that’s how we call them in quebec lol)

Camille
Feb 14, 2009 at 6:58 am

Not the worst, but not the best either. Now that I’ve seen it, it’s very memorable and recognizable. But I would never have guessed it was a logo for a web app without the accompanying explanation.

QF
Feb 14, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Camille,
I’m not sure that’s the best criteria for evaluating a logo. There are many great logos which do not literally communicate what their company does – in fact, I would say an over-reliance on literalism is what’s responsible for so much garbage in our quickie-logo-crapfactory age. Take a look at a WWF logo and take away the words. The classic CN logo. Pepsi. Nike. Logo of the Day.

I quite like this logo, although conceptually it quite similar to the new Museum of London logo which debuted last year.

Grant
Feb 15, 2009 at 8:34 am

Dache created this logo a while ago and I’ve always loved it. It has a great balance of whimsy and refined design and I love that the mark related to the name.