2008-12-17 | Animal Planet

See it in action on the Animal Planet website.

Designer: Dunning Eley Jones

24 Comments to “2008-12-17 | Animal Planet”

David Crawford
Dec 17, 2008 at 12:33 am

This is a terrible, terrible logo. I complained about it as soon as it was released… http://creativebits.org/what_the_hell_is_this

Jacob Cass
Dec 17, 2008 at 2:07 am

To be honest, I am a fan, it breaks out the usual logo design aesthetic and it works well on tv. It is extremely memorable, bold and suits well for the purpose. However, I do know that it is a very unpopular logo but heh, some people even like the London 2012 logo so each to their own.

Brandon
Dec 17, 2008 at 2:28 am

I’m okay with the sideways M, but not with the A and I being squeezed on the top line. I love to find the meaning in a logo, and really can’t see the point of some of the design decisions on this one.

David Crawford
Dec 17, 2008 at 3:09 am

I get the overall concept – but I think there is a better solution than this. I don’t mind how they use it for commercials and such, but when it is by itself, it’s an eyesore.

It honestly looks like someone just learned that they can outline fonts in Illustrator and squish them. It’s really a sub-par solution. I would love to see their other options.

Leventhan
Dec 17, 2008 at 3:39 am

I was oddly angry and sad when I first saw the new logo on TV, it was more of a “WTF!?” than “uh..what?”

Horrible, horrible logo. What was they thinking for aprroving this? *sigh*

David Crawford
Dec 17, 2008 at 4:18 am

@Leventhan – Ha, my first emotion was anger and disbelief as well.

Kevin Burr
Dec 17, 2008 at 4:33 am

I’ll have to agree with some of the others. While the concept is strong, the execution is not. Comes across as very amateur.

Ashley McFarland
Dec 17, 2008 at 5:48 am

Oof–that smarts. I’m with Brandon: that top line is just such an eye-sore.

Fred D
Dec 17, 2008 at 7:18 am

Urk! This is really a bad one. I don’t think I need to say more than the others about that top line’s stretch and extended letters… and I really hope this is channel 3 or else the sideways M just doesn’t make sense!

CM
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:17 pm

It is not that bad… It works well on TV and it actually looks pretty bold with an angle on the current website~

Emiloly
Dec 17, 2008 at 4:33 pm

In retrospect this logo says about a lot about the Animal Kingdom. It comes in all shapes and sizes and even though at times it doesn’t seem to fit together it just does. I’m not saying that I enjoy looking at it or that I am disagreeing with the consensus, but I do believe that it does have purpose and I can see the angle the designer was coming from.

Jeroen
Dec 18, 2008 at 2:03 am

it looks like word-art

the M on its side, horrible
the squeezed letters
and what was wrong with the old logo?
itw as perfectly fine, so why change it

Ronnie
Dec 18, 2008 at 2:48 am

it seems like they wanted to do a “hip” new design which I am getting tiered of (because just about everyone is doing it), their previous one was much better.

Niki Brown | The Design O'Blog
Dec 23, 2008 at 12:57 am

The type in the logo looks stretched! But i can see this logo working well with motion design. Meh…next please.

Rodrigo
Dec 26, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Terrible logo. Looks like they ran out of space by squishing some letters

Emiloly
Dec 29, 2008 at 8:25 pm

Ok, so I had a chance to see this logo ‘IN ACTION’ on Animal Planet (I don’t have sky) and to be honest I think might have sicked up a bit in my mouth. I was hoping that they would at least back it up with some great animation. From where were I was sitting, at about a normal couch to t.v ratio I could barely make the logo out. The N, I and A faded in to obscurity. Which begs the question “What exactly were they thinking?” I try not to be overly critical, since I suffer from the “I’m not good enoughs” So, yeah. Grrrrr to Animal Planet.

syammy
Feb 17, 2009 at 2:42 pm

the logo has reflected animal planet and it has unique character..nice logo

Lisa
Apr 28, 2009 at 3:20 am

What was wrong with the original logo?

Carlo Villamin
Jul 16, 2009 at 12:55 pm

The first time I saw this logo, I recognize the the “M” resembles a claw or something like a scratch to exhibit a wild personality. This logo is far-fetched but will take time to sink in the audience eye.

Mario
Jul 24, 2009 at 2:35 am

The original logo was wayyyyy better and nice.. this has no meaning and everything about this is odd http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=6844433

Justin
Apr 28, 2010 at 8:21 am

I don’t get why they put the “M” sideways and the rest of the word normal. Can anyone explain to me?

DJ
Oct 22, 2010 at 4:15 pm

One would think an “Animal Planet” logo would be more ecologically minded – the logo leaves a filthy footprint & a fowl taste of hoof in mouth – I can’t dance to it.

Caleb
Feb 10, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I have to say that the logo bothers me too. The first time I saw it I commented about how I didn’t like it. I do like the concept, but the concept needs to be better executed. It looks like somethink I could throw together on PowerPoint in 5 minutes. Incidents like this, sometimes makes me wonder if some companies have ties to certain graphic designers and don’t want to stop using them, even though their designs are outdated. My college is somewhat similar. The graphic designer at my college is not up to par, she puts all her designs together in PowerPoint and Publisher, and they don’t fire her just because the President favors her as a person, not necessarily her design. While we have an entire art department of students who are willing to do design work for the school.

Devin Johnson
Mar 28, 2012 at 7:06 pm

The “M” sideways is because it is their 30th anniversary I am pretty sure. Not the best execution but I am glad they at least aligned the end of the “L” in animal to the end of “T” in planet. I am usually always against distorting type, but it does lend itself to look like animal stripes. I can agree it is not the best execution, but definitely not the worst logo out there.