2008-12-13 | Woolworths

Woolworths new rebranded logo…

“The new branding has been worked on by leading Australian designer, Hans Hulsbosch, who won the pitch over Ken Cato. Hulsbosch has worked on major brands such as Qantas, P&O Cruises, Taronga Zoo and Free TV Australia.

According to Hans, the new icon represents (amongst other things):

• A ‘W’ for Woolworths
  • Fresh produce indicates ‘fresh food’
  • The icon represents people – the upper body of a person with outstretched arms
  • Green is the colour of nature, growth and organic freshness”

Designer: Hans Hulsbosch

14 Comments to “2008-12-13 | Woolworths”

Brandon
Dec 13, 2008 at 1:15 am

I think this is one of the coolest uses of a W I’ve seen as a logo. I don’t see the person in it, but I see the fruit of it.

Peter
Dec 13, 2008 at 1:35 am

They rebranded? didnt know! Not in South Africa they haven’t..

Lawrence Anderson
Dec 13, 2008 at 5:14 am

I really like this one. It’s a W, it’s an apple, it’s just plain great. I forget where I saw this before, probably on Under Consideration. But, they had some great shots of the logo implemented on signage.

Euan
Dec 13, 2008 at 6:38 am

Looks great!

Jacob Cass
Dec 13, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Peter, I believe the rebranding is in Australia for now. I have seen some trucks with the new logo but no stores as of yet.

Fabian
Dec 14, 2008 at 3:26 pm

I can’t wait to see this rollout across Australia.It’s so fresh and lively.

Adam
Dec 15, 2008 at 11:28 am

I saw one of the revamped Victorian supermarket stores. The logo and signage looks fantastic!

CM
Dec 16, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Really creative and conceptual piece with the W! I am sorry to say that the type below let me down though… I have to say the W looks great on the super sized truck which I’ve seen one running around on the highway! Hans Hulsbosch also did the recent Qantas ID revamp, which is a bit controversial…

phoenix555
Dec 17, 2008 at 10:02 am

wow… I hadn’t seen this one before – it makes soo much more sense in relation to who they are, what they do, but more importantly how they want to be perceived. Striking and fresh.

Kirsten
Dec 17, 2008 at 10:52 pm

@ Peter: Woolworths overseas is a different company to the one in South Africa. Our Woolworths is Marks & Spencer overseas

Hector
Dec 19, 2008 at 5:27 am

I guess this new logo design didn’t help them, since they’re closing down.

vektahaus
Dec 19, 2008 at 1:44 pm

They have rolled out the revamped identity in what used to be Safeway in Bayswater Victoria Store.

As beautiful and clever as I think the brandmark is… I do agree with CM, the type is a bit of let down. The stacked version isn’t too bad, but the horizontal version used in the main store signage shows the weakness in the type.

What I found most disappointing though, is the support logo for Woolworths Liquor. Maybe I am being to harsh…but the type use in the word ‘Liquor’ was the first thing that stood out and I kind of cringed.

Jacob Cass
Dec 19, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Vektahaus,
I am yet to see the other signage for the Liquor store (nor the main store) but like I mentioned before, I have seen a truck with the new branding.

Alicia
Dec 19, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Jacob- the new rebranding was in the post last week in the article about the new woolworths at Swansea. (or was it Belmont?)
It seems that for now they’re just rolling it out when they revamp or build a store.