2012-01-23 | Appy

Tags: ,

Branding for mobile apps company, Appy™.
Credits: Jack Daly

18 Comments to “2012-01-23 | Appy”

Sammuel Nevarez
Jan 23, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I don’t think the smile executes “happy”. I ready appy. Initially, i read _appy (underscore+appy). Perhaps adding some eyes to indicate that its a smiley would convey “happy” better?

Matthew
Jan 23, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Have to agree with Sammuel. Not sure what they were going for on this one.

Peter E
Jan 24, 2012 at 2:47 am

I agree with Sammuel and Matthew. Two vertical lines as eyes above the smile would give more of a happy face and also create an H feel. || or !! or maybe vertical lines with slight crescents (either cutaway or bumps) half-way to indicate pupils at the place the horizontal line of the H would be. Just some thoughts…

Peter
Jan 24, 2012 at 4:10 am

Font looks too dull & neutral. No happiness in it.
Also I don’t agree with kerning. Imo, letters want more space.

Steve
Jan 24, 2012 at 10:21 am

I think they knew if they had the eyes it would read “Happy,” which would be confusing since the company is Appy. I think they subtly wanted to imply happy but it just didn’t really work.

I’d also guess that they thought of putting the smile under the two p’s but either it didn’t look right of thought it was an overused concept.

Chris Lane
Jan 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

I don’t understand the underscore? People say it’s to be happy? Actually, first thing I read when I saw the logo was crappy, though I’m not sure why. Certainly not happy though. At the very best cappy.

boxerdude
Jan 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm

wow this is horrific. completely misses the mark of \appy\ OR \happy\ because in the case of \appy\ you’re trying to see more, and in the case of \happy\ you’re not getting the proper name.

truly awful. should have been an instant throw away concept.

Roller
Jan 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm

First time when i saw it i decide that this i some kind of “new” Cappy juice logo :) ))

Sammuel Nevarez
Jan 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I am not a Logo Design expert but some of the logos on here are poorly designed. They come off as thoughtless and weak in communication.

Javier
Jan 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I understand the designer is trying to represent “happy”,
the underscore is a clear interpretation for that,
but there is not a direct connection with the letters.
Something is broken here

aovivo
Jan 25, 2012 at 12:10 am

the expression ‘happy’ is strong and wellknown all over the world – but i dont see this work.

Peter E
Jan 25, 2012 at 12:39 am

Actually, the first thing that came to mind when I saw this was food – appetizers or appies as my friends call them!

Cool Desingz
Jan 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

I third the “eyes” comment. Also, maybe a funny haircut? The three stooges maybe.

Also, that font is BORING! Use a fun one, like: http://www.dafont.com/funny-pages.font

Design Rocks
Jan 28, 2012 at 9:55 am

Yes Peter E, my friends and I often take trivial words like appetizers and shorten them for fun. Such as ‘countrified’ or as my friends like to call them ‘counts’!

What fun :-)

Aaron
Feb 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm

you guys are missing the point here. the company isn’t called “happy”..it’s called “appy.”..the fact alone that a lot of people ASSUMED it was called “happy” just cause of how they used the parenthesis for a smile. it automatically gives you a connection with that emotion wihout even attempting to convey an “H”..the typeface is clean and modern, and the only decision i really question here is the color

Aaron
Feb 3, 2012 at 1:04 pm

@ “design rocks” the typeface that you linked to is horribly design and wouldn’t relate to the web 2.0 feel of this at all.

Aalok Trivedi
Feb 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Oh dear god. I agree with Aaron on both comments. I think its a great subtle play on the word “happy.” And yes, that is a terrible terrible font, Cool Desingz. It’s the reason why going to dafonts.com for font choices is just…bad.

Daylon
May 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I don’t think trying to make your viewer think it says happy is strengthening the logo. There has to be more important concepts to imply that relate to apps and tells the viewer what Appy is.