2011-08-04 | Budweiser

Budweiser beer.

Credits: Unknown

13 Comments to “2011-08-04 | Budweiser”

Gus Wagner
Aug 5, 2011 at 7:51 am

Having grown up in the shadows of the St. Louis (former) headquarters this is obviously a hit with me. There have been better versions in the history of this classic logo. I am still not sold on the new can graphics released this week either.

Shannon Mølhave
Aug 5, 2011 at 8:21 am

I honestly don’t see why this is such a great logo. The name is hard to read between the chosen typeface and color (if you didn’t already know what it said) and I don’t understand the point of the uneven red bowtie-ish shape in the background.

steve
Aug 5, 2011 at 8:38 am

A nice beer after a creative day. One of my faves.
In regard to the logo, not sure about this version of it, but a unique shape.
Re: the red shape, you could say that about any shape. Countless companies use a red triangle for example. Im sure there is some core brand significance in there somewhere ;)

Ariel
Aug 5, 2011 at 8:53 am

Seems to be a change in the target audience for this brand right now! I really like the whole design solution, that tag line is superb! That red shape is a hook in the mouth from “Iron Mike” in his glory days!

Shannon Mølhave
Aug 5, 2011 at 9:29 am

@Steve – I disagree, it’s often very apparent why a designer has chosen a certain shape, especially for a logo. Brand New has more info on the package design update, they also say “I don’t drink Budweiser so I haven’t spent hours philosophizing about its design…but I had never associated the bowtie with Budweiser.” It just seems sort of arbitrary. http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/budweiser_rocks_the_bowtie.php

Steve Hughes
Aug 5, 2011 at 10:14 am

@Shannon I was merely commenting that a shape can have many meanings. Both Quark and Bass Beers have used a red triangle. Budweiser themselves are unsure of where the bow tie came from.
I agree with you it is a random shape and if it is indeed to help people say Budweiser instead of Bud, then its a shame the r has fallen out the end of the box and into white.
The colouring and style remind me of embassy cigarettes now

Martin
Aug 5, 2011 at 11:42 am

Thanks Shannon for supplying the link. The new can design has a much more upscale look than past designs. I suppose the purpose of the script font is to give it a classy (and classic) appeal. I agree that technically it is hard to read (as are most script fonts to my eyes) and to make it even more difficult, it runs vertically up the can. In spite of all this, I am surprised that it seems to register to me as Budweiser almost instantly. It seems to defy logic. I think I like it.

Aaron
Aug 6, 2011 at 11:54 am

@martin This has been the same script for almost every can design they’ve had except for the one time. I think the logo is a great fusion of classic and modern, but is definitely better suited for a dark background (like on kevin harvick’s racecar )

I disagree that the new look is supposed to be MORE classic…the old can design was very intricate. It was busy and wordy, but in an entirely appropriate way. The new one, on the other hand, is attempting to be far more trendy while downplaying the intricate design on the can. I sort of like the new can design, but it doesn’t work all that well. The shape of the white space around the bow tie is really awkward, and the decision to make the crown completely surrounded by red and separated from the bowtie is confusing at best. Overall, the concept seems like a half-baked effort to make the can look more modern. The problem I have with that is it seems like everyone is trying to look the same nowadays. EVERYONE is simplifying, and it’s not the right decision for EVERYONE. Designers have been copying each other forever, but this is getting ridiculous.

Steve Hughes
Aug 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Quite amusing…
“encourage people to order the beer by its full name, instead of just by “Bud”
Funny how on the caps on the beers in my fridge it says “Bud” If you don’t want people to say that, don’t ADD it to the bottle top!

Aaron
Aug 6, 2011 at 5:45 pm

steve..why are you saying that’s the purpose? Nobody said that that’s why they moved to the new can design. They’ve been using this logo for years and have always used “bud” as an abbreviated name. The hood of their racecars only say “bud.” their brand new tagline on all commercials this years is “great times are waiting. grab some buds.” The cans have NEVER said just “bud” on them, so I have no clue why people seem to think that’s the reasoning behind this. If anything, they’re amping up the use of “bud” in their ads. They even have a new promotion all over the web that’s like..the band of buds or something

Steve Hughes
Aug 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

Aaron Thats funny as I just read
\This past Wednesday, Budweiser announced a new can design — the 12th redesign since 1936 when it began using them — focused on the “Budweiser bowtie” which, according to this explanatory diagram was created as a symbol to encourage people to order the beer by its full name, instead of just by “Bud”
from

Im not saying they don’t call it Bud, everyone knows what a Bud is, All I am saying is that if they would rather people order a Budweiser and not a Bud, then why put it on the lids.
If the public embrace Bud, they I’d be more inclined to go that route.

Graham
Aug 8, 2011 at 9:39 am

The logo is suitable I guess and it has a nice classic feel to it. But the beer is nasty. Especially after you are used to the great beers we have here in South Africa.

Designer
Aug 9, 2011 at 5:15 am

This logo is all fizz and no taste which makes it very suitable for the beer.