2011-02-23 | Miller & Green

Tags: , ,

Miller & Green hair salon.

Credits: Landor Sydney

17 Comments to “2011-02-23 | Miller & Green”

Mike
Feb 24, 2011 at 6:53 pm

It looks kinda sloppy to me…Is that supposed to be scissors?

Brad
Feb 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm

It took me a while to notice the small G even though I know the company is called Miller and Green. It appears more like an M, O and Q. I get that it is supposed to be a pair of scissors, but it could also be a rabbit with glasses.

Mark
Feb 25, 2011 at 1:24 am

It seems to be an effort at an abstract but it has ended up a little too abstract. I like where it is heading and I truly believe there is more potential with this idea than what we see. The designer just needs to go back to the sketchpad and see if it can be executed better.

WilleNewMedia
Feb 25, 2011 at 4:25 am

Anyone else see batwoman here?! (Long bat ears with boobs,.. not?)

Mike Beard
Feb 25, 2011 at 8:08 am

This one got my attention because it’s just so ungainly, awkward in that way like a stork walking. And yes, then I got it that it’s a scissors. So the cleverness hides beneath the ugliness… not too appropriate for a design related operation. I would agree with all the comments so far. What if your hairdo ended up looking like this?

FDuarte
Feb 25, 2011 at 8:15 am

Didn’t like it. I agree with Brad and Mike Beard – I took a while to identify the \g\ (I was seeing a \O\ and a \Q\ too) and I had to read the comments to see the scissors. When I saw the description of the logo and looked at it, I thoug it was a man with glasses and a spiked hair…

Ariel
Feb 25, 2011 at 9:49 am

neeext!!

Nick Haulfermet
Feb 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Saw the M, but don’t see the G. And the scissor wasn’t well developed.

Chris Lane
Feb 25, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Yea, this needs some work. I didn’t see the scissors until someone mentioned it, nor did I see the g. It is ungainly as Mike Beard said. I actually saw either really tall ears or spiky hair (since it’s a salon) with eyes. But yea, the g looks more like an o and q. And then MILLER & GREEN is so little at the bottom. I think the logo would actually look so much better if it was JUST the logotype by itself (and appropriately sized).

Logo
Feb 26, 2011 at 6:37 am

Typographically awkward and conceptually ruined by poor execution.

boxerdude
Feb 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm

personally, i really like it. i think for the use and industry, it works just fine. it’s clever. i like the awkwardness and in-your-face tone of it. it’s fun.

Adamo
Feb 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I warmed up to this logo actually… I don’t think the site gives the logo enough justice, It’s cropped much too tightly here, needs the space to work. Lol, but maybe my high opinions of Landor are influencing me somewhat??

Graham
Mar 1, 2011 at 3:31 am

Interesting concept and I think it serves its purpose well.

Jon
Mar 2, 2011 at 11:33 am

I’m not a fan of this one. The name Miller & Green doesn’t make it clear that it is a hair salon (or whatever) so I didn’t make the connection to the scissors right away. I really thought Miller & Green was some sort of law firm or something which made me think the logo was all wrong for the industry. Once I saw the scissors and got that it was not a law firm I thought the logo was clever, but the execution and the confusion over the company name really ruined it for me.

boxerdude
Mar 4, 2011 at 12:47 am

@Jon – when you see McDonald’s logo – do you know they serve hamburgers? How about IBM… computers? Pepsi…. soda?

it doesn’t have to hit you on the face to be effective.

Jon
Mar 4, 2011 at 10:14 am

@boxerdude – But that is not the point of the McDonald’s, IBM or Pepsi logos. McDonald’s and IBM aren’t trying to be overly clever with their logos. This logo is actually putting a tool from its industry in the logo and they are doing it in a clever/abstract way, it just isn’t being done as effectively as the designer would have hoped.

And yes, when I see a McDonald’s logo I do know they serve hamburgers.

Shawn
Mar 11, 2011 at 5:52 pm

The quirkiness and personality of this mark will ultimately provide visual distinction with years to come…if it already hasn’t.