2011-01-28 | Kate Spade

Tags: ,

New Kate Spade logo. See in use.

Credits: Kate Spade NY

34 Comments to “2011-01-28 | Kate Spade”

Will
Jan 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Ok, really??? are you kidding us? logo of the day shouldn’t be something clever, innovative, creative?

I was dissapointed with the latest selection of logos, but this is too much.

Mark
Jan 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm

the only thing I think of when I see this logo is all the other spade logos out there. I would love to read the creative process and justification for this design. See if you can get the designer to post it.

Craig Reynolds
Jan 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Wow…what…really. I can’t decide whether to be disappointed at the logo or the decision to have this featured as a “Logo of the Day”

Bushido
Jan 30, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Seriously. WTF?

Ken John
Jan 30, 2011 at 5:01 pm

The next “logo” will be a circle.

Designer
Jan 30, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Too literal… boring. Not at all creative.

Jasmyn
Jan 30, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Ummmm….uhhhh…It’s a nice color…

Aldrich
Jan 30, 2011 at 8:27 pm

zzz.

Jodi
Jan 30, 2011 at 9:04 pm

There is so many ways to have a play off “spade” this is just…yawn…

Brad
Jan 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm

The subtle curves are not subtle and the simplicity is simply boring. It looks like something is being inserted up an ass.

Wille New Media
Jan 31, 2011 at 2:22 am

Ken John, you mean like in “Suggest a logo” on the right? :D

I don’t like the logo, i don’t like the curves, but i do like Brads comment!

Heinrich
Jan 31, 2011 at 3:57 am

I was looking at it and expecting to see her initial s cleverly incorporated into the spade…I guess not. What a shame. Anyone could have come up with this.

Poor logo of the day.

FDuarte
Jan 31, 2011 at 6:51 am

The logo is really obvious and boring. But I liked the examples of use.

Sarah
Jan 31, 2011 at 9:54 am

I must be crazy. I like it. The simplicity of it is very versatile.

Jacob Cass
Jan 31, 2011 at 10:27 am

Thanks for your feedback people. The conversation has been continued here…

Ivan Tsankov
Jan 31, 2011 at 10:30 am

Uh, Am I crazy or the world is going nuts?
A spade symbol? I’ve seen this thing everywhere, it’s not innovative or creative. It’s rather simplistic and boring!
Oh wait. You’ve expected me to say – “Oh Wowsers! It’s a spade logo! Oh look there’s a circle! Wonderful logo too! Wait there’s a comma, what a wonderf..”
Give me a break… by the way, I like the color. ;)

R. Shawn Williams
Jan 31, 2011 at 11:31 am

glad that there were people who got to this before i did. when did it start being okay to submit clip art for logo consideration.

can you pay to get your logo on this site, that’s gotta be what it is right?

KARD
Jan 31, 2011 at 12:08 pm

PLease share with us some context, because this icon, can’t call it logo, seems visually appropriate for Kate Spade.

Killa!
Jan 31, 2011 at 12:11 pm

That’s what you call a logo?

Martin
Jan 31, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Simple is nice but this is like using a Zapf Dingbat as a logo. Some stylization (even a very small amount) to make this into something unique would, I think, garner much more respect and forgiveness from the critics.

[...] tweet from Jacob Cass (@justcreative) tweaked my interest earlier today. He was linking to this post on his Logo of The Day blog (a great place for some fresh inspiration), remarking upon the low [...]

[...] A Logo Ever Be Too Simple’ and the massive fuss that has been kicked up on ‘Logo Of The Day‘ over the new Kate Spade logo and it’s striking simplicity, I felt compelled to [...]

Kevin
Feb 2, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Reminds me of Raymond Loewy’s solution for Shell Oil decades ago.

Daniel Evans
Feb 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I’m the type of guy who calls a Spade a Spade.

This is a Spade.

boxerdude
Feb 3, 2011 at 1:55 pm

ridiculous.

Adamo
Feb 9, 2011 at 1:40 am

Innovative and creative?… not at all. However what they have done is quite brilliant. Kate Spade has now taken claim to a visual mark which is universally recognized. Its no longer that symbol on a deck of cards – its ‘kate spade’ This was never about having something conceptually amazing or innovative – It’s taking strong visual mark that everyone knows and reframing its association.

KSS
Feb 9, 2011 at 6:47 am

@Adamo But is Kate Spade a big enough brand to associate this image with? I would still say 99% of people who see this would relate it to a deck of cards.

Adamo
Feb 9, 2011 at 4:39 pm

@KSS Early days :) See what happens in 5-10 years.

Logo
Feb 14, 2011 at 4:36 am

I wouldn’t call this a logo.

boxerdude
Feb 14, 2011 at 1:41 pm

@adamo – nobody sees a spade and thinks “kate spade”. it’s still the symbol on the deck of cards and always will be. you’re deluding yourself to think otherwise.

[...] similar post titled “When is a logo too simple?” but after posting Kate Spade’s new logo (shown above) on Logo Of The Day, I think it’s a good time to bring it up [...]

Roo
Aug 31, 2011 at 7:36 pm

@Daniel Evans. right. except I would say. Spades, suit of cards. Kate Spade got it wrong. Or should have drawn the tool.

António Pinto
May 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Well, honestly it may look too simple at the start but if you look closer (specially in use) you will notice it is really well done.

Apart from the logo is the choice of colors, well done.

Simplicity is always good, well not always but here it is.

In the long run, if branded correctly, the logo will be recognized almost instantly (it is after all a every dayicon we see regulary, and just for that it’s original).

Simple, does its job and easy to remember, almost perfect.