2011-01-03 | Rio 2016

Tags: ,

Rio 2016 Olympics Logo.

Credits: Tátil

17 Comments to “2011-01-03 | Rio 2016”

Marius Ciobotaru
Jan 3, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Who is the designer?

Mark.S.
Jan 3, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Daniel
Jan 3, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Logo of the year. It’s such a huge improvement from the London 2012 logo.

Sollo
Jan 4, 2011 at 6:08 am

this is really good. Works perfectly in both 3D & 2D. Masterpiece. Far better than the Brazil 2014 WOrldcup (Volleyball) logo.

Jeaver
Jan 4, 2011 at 9:48 am

Yeah, I saw the Telluride Foundation logo and if it’s true that there are blatant similarities, I’m still giving these guys the benefit of the doubt for the originality of their concept and I understand the argument they make about the possibility of a coincidence. Plus, this one’s much better executed: I’m a fan, personally… I’m interested to see what others think about this, there are a lot of pretty insightful people on these boards…

mminksy
Jan 4, 2011 at 10:06 am

I understand where the designer is coming from but I must say, I’m a bit tired of seeing the blob-like figures with round heads, holding hands or in some sort of position. It’s been done too many times. Couldn’t we represent a company, an idea or convey a message with a new way? Don’t get me wrong, I love Matisse too but let’s pave a new path.

palmerchambers
Jan 4, 2011 at 10:09 am

I think this is brilliant. The text is great!

Theo
Jan 4, 2011 at 11:24 am

Love it, great work!

Martin
Jan 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm

The logo actually make me think of dancing, not sports. The Olympics is a competitive event but this looks like people holding hands and dancing. I love the font and the colors. Maybe they should have stopped there and left icon out of it.

boxerdude
Jan 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I hadn’t seen the Telluride Foundation logo and there’s no denying the similarity, but I agree in that I doubt the designers saw it previously either. I also agree that that concept of fluid interpretive bodies isn’t exactly groundbreaking. I’ve used it before for a project as well. I think this is great, and especially in comparison to what I think is the HORRIFIC London 2012 identity, it’s superb. If I had to pick a small element apart, I’d say the font for the Rio2016 is too cursive and soft given the flowing element of the figures and the obviously circular pattern of the Olympics rings. Had I been asked to design it (and I clearly wasn’t) I think I would have made the Rio 2016 font stronger and less cursive to give an anchor to the eye as opposed to three cursive elements. I think it may have given the overall look and feel a bit more weight to it.

Graham
Jan 5, 2011 at 5:47 am

This is absolutely beautiful. It must be one of the best Olypic logos ever – very well done!

MrSunnyZ
Jan 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I agree with mminksy about the “blob-like figures with round heads” holding hands or cheering, it is everywhere now, just visit 99designs. I feel kind of kiddy every time I see this kind of designs, including one of my own – I first used this kind of figure in 1984 when I did a logo for a student conference for my university (I was 17). I am not saying this is a bad design, I like the typography and the blob-like figures are well executed, but I believe this logo must have benefited from comparison to the much hated London 2012 and Brazil World Cup 2014.

Valerie
Jan 7, 2011 at 5:20 am

I might be one of the few, but this looks like some random baby’s pacifier to me. Not a fan at all, but agree it is better than previous Olympic logo’s.

Logo Designer
Jan 17, 2011 at 3:53 am

For the first time since Sydney 2000 there’s an Olympic logo that doesn’t suck.

The icon is well executed and the logotype is different and approachable. It does look similar to the font on the 2012 London logo a designer called Richard Voysey did.

medmate
Feb 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I personnaly think the london logo is way more up to date.
much more fresh even with that color,witch I dont like.
very true,that the idea of simplified characters holding hands are so over used.

Joao Teixeira
Mar 16, 2011 at 7:57 am

It´s a nice logo, featuring a beautiful font, but… why does it look like a condom?