2010-12-31 | Royal Opera House

Royal Opera House. See in use.

Credits: Someone

10 Comments to “2010-12-31 | Royal Opera House”

Glenna
Dec 31, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I think the crest works very well, but I’d have used a typeface more in keeping with the look of the logo. Such a modern-appearing font seems out of kilter with the ornate look.

Graham
Jan 3, 2011 at 4:48 am

I am generally not a fan of crets in logos, but I guess this is fitting for what it represents.

boxerdude
Jan 4, 2011 at 5:57 pm

That’s an exceptionally complex crest for a logo. Wonder how it looks scaled up and down. I love it visually but would question its practicality for mixed use and exposure.

Stefan
Jan 5, 2011 at 5:30 am

I agree with Glenna, Im not a fan of the font with that ornate looking logo. I guess the brief might have stated the logo to be modern in a way but usually words like ‘Royal’ have a script or serif connotations

Rob
Jan 9, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I think its a wonderful update to the original logo especially how you kept the details similar but more cleaner and balanced(the old logo makes me laugh with the sad lion and drunk unicorn). I also like how you have combined new and old with the sans serif font as it pulls the ‘old’ crest into the present.

Designer
Feb 14, 2011 at 4:32 am

It doesn’t compare with the logo for the English National Opera.

The ENO have kept well away from the stuffy obvious approach and came up with a clean, witty solution that’s been highly successful.

boxerdude
Feb 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm

@designer – how do you see the ENO’s identity as being “witty”? clean – absolutely. different – for sure. but witty?

this logo is for the ROYAL opera house. i think the identity has to retain a strong link to the brand’s legacy. i think it fits.

Designer
Feb 14, 2011 at 5:00 pm

If you can’t see the witty idea in the ENO logo I’m not going to point it out but here’s a hint – what part of the face is shaped like an O when singing opera?

boxerdude
Feb 14, 2011 at 5:04 pm

that’s about as witty as a new yorker cartoon. definitely a stretch.

Designer
Feb 14, 2011 at 5:08 pm

BTW – The ENO logo was done by CDT Design in 1991. I just looked it up in a book I have called ‘A Smile in The Mind’ which is about ‘Witty thinking in Graphic Design’ – Funny that.