2010-07-06 | Phoenix Printing

“Phoenix Printing is a reliable and innovative print service company that came to Solid Studios for help establishing their brand. They are a very progressive company and needed a logo that shared that. We wanted to bring a powerful, fun and dynamic mark that showed the magnitude of their print offerings while reinforcing the quality of their service. We wanted to break from the typical industry looking stuff and really set them apart.”

Credits: Solid Studios

10 Comments to “2010-07-06 | Phoenix Printing”

Tim
Jul 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm

“We wanted to break from the typical industry looking stuff and really set them apart.”

I’d have to say that a logo with a color spectrum is the definition of the typical industry look for printer’s logos.

I’m a big fan of heraldry and prussian/german eagles and I get that the bird is supposed to be a phoenix but I’m not seeing any flames so the phoenix doesn’t come through for me. Also, I’m hoping there is some sort of logotype that goes along with this. Without it, this could be a logo for anything, or even just a pretty picture.

Glenna
Jul 6, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I love the icon. It’s perfect to represent printing and the company name. I wonder that there’s no type to go with the icon. I agree with Tim that the name of the company should accompany the art. So many possibilities with that wonderful logo.

John
Jul 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I don’t like how the right wing gets very dark in the middle. Playing with the spectrum flow more could have yielded a more appealing result. Also agree that I’d like to see the text that goes with this and that a phoenix without flames is, well, a bird without wings, it just doesn’t fly.

Jen
Jul 7, 2010 at 7:39 am

It’s a gorgeous logo, but there’s one problem: the colors. Red, green, and blue are the colors used in digital displays. This logo should use cyan, magenta, and yellow to better represent the business as those (along with black) are the standard 4-color process ink colors. The Kinko’s logo has the same problem.

David
Jul 7, 2010 at 7:46 am

Adding flames would be moronic. You’d be as well starting again as opposed to adding them. They are totally unnecessary.

I would agree that having the company name there is pretty vital. It’s a bit of a make or break thing for the look of it – but we’ll assume it fits nicely.

In terms of the wing going dark in the middle – big deal. It’s a nice, vibrant colour scheme that despite it’s boldness still communicates the shape of a phoenix.

Also, Tim argued the logo isn’t set apart from rivals on the basis that the colour scheme is typical. But the logo is original, if not for the colour scheme, then for the subject matter. A lot of print company logos are rings or blobs or drops etc. Yours is far more engaging.

Matthew Carson
Jul 7, 2010 at 9:20 am

I like the bold colors and clean vector style, but…

I too have an issue with the resemblance to heraldry rather than a phoenix. Also the idea of the phoenix is a reborn/re-emergence from the ashes scenario. How is the company reborn or reinvented?

The black mix on the right is not a great choice either.

Tim
Jul 7, 2010 at 10:53 am

As far as the originality of the subject matter I’d suggest you google “phoenix printing logo” and see how original it seems. To be fair, there isn’t much else you can do with an unoriginal company name like Phoenix whether it is a printing or a plumbing company.

And as far as the originality of the image itself, to be honest it looks like a slightly modified heraldry clip art eagle. Google “eagle clip art heraldry” and you can probably pick out which ones were used for reference. I’m not saying I would do it any other way if I needed a heraldry eagle, I’m just saying it isn’t that original.

Claire Hayes
Aug 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Beautiful.

Jonathan
Aug 14, 2010 at 1:11 pm

This logo is very well crafted. It’s beautiful! I love the dark are right on the edge of the image. It creates such an exciting focal point. I think Tim is right to say the idea isn’t original but the execution of the idea is the best I’ve seen. Good job!

[...] Fun approach on logo design [...]