2010-05-29 | Chanel

Tags: , ,

The House of Chanel, more commonly known as Chanel, is a Parisian fashion house in France founded by Gabrielle Bonheur “Coco” Chanel.  Chanel is famous for its line of perfumes, clothing and fashion accessories. The Chanel logo is an overlapping double ‘C’ – one facing forward and the other facing backward. This comes from the name Coco Chanel.”Coco” is the nickname frequently used by Chanel founder, Gabrielle Chanel. The logo was not trademarked until during the first openings of Chanel stores.

Credits: Unknown

9 Comments to “2010-05-29 | Chanel”

John
May 29, 2010 at 11:19 am

No point criticizing this one I suppose, they have some pretty deep equity in this logo, and I see no need for them to change it currently.

Anon
May 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Don’t see what is so great about it :/
could do with a bit more space between the cc and the word I guess.
Sure it is easily recognized, but I don’t see what is so great about the logo itself from a design point.

pinkinkdesign
May 29, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Have to agree with ‘anon’… Yes, it’s iconic, but not inspiring in the least. If I presented this to a client as an option, they would most likely skim over it without a thought.

Daniel Lopez
May 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm

The logo is simplistic yes, but that is what’s so effective about it. It can easily be branded across multiple mediums and it’s simplistic shape allows it be iconic because it can be easily remembered. The best logos always have this quality – deceptively simple yet unbelievably flexible.

Glenna
May 30, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I like it. Very simple, but if I remember correctly, Chanel was named for CoCo Chanel, so the space between the inverted Cs could be an O – if that was intentional, it’s very clever. It’s old fashioned, but then it’s OLD.

Anthony Lane
May 31, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Daniel summed it up nicely. If you can’t understand why this is a great logo, then well, I’m not sure…

Erkan Oruç
Jun 1, 2010 at 7:45 am

In my opininon, so simple and ordinary.. Maybe you can find a different shape.

Anon
Jun 8, 2010 at 4:25 pm

It is “iconic” because it has been branded everywhere.
So if I made a logo that is just a square.. plaster it everywhere – like McDonalds, Nike, Chanel etc.. it’s simplistic, would become iconic… doesn’t make it a good logo.. it is just a square.
Chanel – maybe they have great branding, but I think the logo design itself is nothing special.

Gianluca Gimini
Jun 29, 2010 at 11:36 am

I think some things just look overdone nowadays but this doesn’t mean that they were not pure genius when they were first made.
It’s just like in music, what was innovative in the 50’s would be considered terribly lame if done today. So, yes, if the logo had been designed yesterday I would agree that it’s simple and maybe too bland. But it was made almost 90 years ago and is so well recognized now that it would be insane to think about changing it.

What I argue is: what is that logo doing on this website?