2010-03-03 | London Sperm Bank

Tags: , , , , ,

“Silk Pearce has designed the new identity, website and advertising material for the London Sperm Bank on Harley Street. The clinic is aiming to recruit new donors to help solve a chronic shortage in the UK. The website contains comprehensive information for anyone wishing to donate and an assessment form to check eligibility.”

Credits: Silk Pearce

30 Comments to “2010-03-03 | London Sperm Bank”

Blue Cuevas
Mar 3, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Oh ok… Saw the phallus immediately but read ‘Londbn’ instead of ‘London’. Despite that, it sure is a memorable mark.

Anthony Hawkins
Mar 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Same, I read Londbn at first. Although the logo does get the message across.

Aaina Sharma
Mar 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I saw the same thing – ‘Londbn’ instead of ‘London.’ Not too fond of the leading either. The color work well though.

Deano
Mar 3, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Hmm, I thought it was a sperm bank, not a penis bank. It’s a fun mark but not for a sperm bank. It should be about the swimmers not the gun.

Smithy
Mar 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I agree with Deano and the ‘Londbn’ read too. However there is something interesting about it. I think you will remember it.

Maciej Szylke
Mar 3, 2010 at 12:38 pm

If author already decided to shot on this symbol I believe that “Lo” from “London” fit much more and wouldn’t make problems with readibility :)

Blue Cuevas
Mar 3, 2010 at 12:43 pm

It sure does bring the message across just had a hard time reading the name. It doesn’t necessarily have to show sperm just because it’s a sperm bank. Like for example, a photography studio uses a camera as it’s logo. Why doesn’t it use an image of a photograph instead? It can but that doesn’t mean it has to. And it still works.

Aaron Kilcoyne
Mar 3, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Pretty clever, although does conflict with readability somewhat. Apple sells computers and electronics alike, however their logo isn’t a computer or something similar but instead it’s the name of the company. None the less, I enjoyed this entry.

True_Tech
Mar 3, 2010 at 5:47 pm

HA!

Adamo
Mar 3, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Not really sure with this one. Yes, its memorable and good for a laugh. However, as mentioned in your rationale, the subject is quite a serious one. Serious to the people who need it at least.

To me, the logo represents the business as immature. Its not acknowledging the issue, or positioning its itself as a well respected, high quality company. Just a business willing to turn there one public symbol into ‘dick and balls’.

Casey
Mar 3, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I agree with Adamo. This one is a funny one and it attracts people’s eyes for sure. Yet, A logo should represent what’s behind the logo, which I don’t think is the organ only.

John
Mar 3, 2010 at 8:47 pm

This is juvenile.

JG
Mar 3, 2010 at 9:05 pm

mediocre

Chris Edington
Mar 4, 2010 at 2:44 am

Hilarious… Love it

Jim
Mar 4, 2010 at 3:46 am

I think that it works well. We shouldn’t be afraid of injecting a little humour into our designs.

Adamo
Mar 4, 2010 at 5:45 am

@Jim. Agreed. This logo is humerous on face value. However, I’m trying to look at this from a holistic viewpoint. Its about finding the correct solution based on the correct company objectives. In my opinion this is where it fails. The concept used could just as easily represent a sex shop let alone a sperm bank.

If immature ‘high school’ humour is actually the angle the company wishes to be continually represented as, then they got it perfect.

Jason
Mar 4, 2010 at 6:08 am

Yeah I get the idea behind the logo and the clever use of the text but like some others I read Londbn.

Not sure the logo has to be serious as its aiming to recruit new donors (who may not be entirely comfortable with the idea) and the humor in the imagery can ease the perception.

adri_rory
Mar 4, 2010 at 7:12 am

“Same, I read Londbn at first. Although the logo does get the message across.” I agree with Anthony Hawkins :)

Douglas
Mar 4, 2010 at 9:33 am

I love the hidden typographic pun of ensuring someone’s futura.

Duane Kinsey
Mar 5, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Almost fell of my chair laughing… It certainly gets people talking, which is sometimes the most important thing.

Daniel Correia
Mar 6, 2010 at 12:14 am

I can see your points of view about “Londbn”, but you don’t have to think to much to see it means London and, I think, people won’t easily forget it. Isn’t that the point?

@Adamo, it’s about sperm! “Dick and balls”? Why not?

Adamo
Mar 7, 2010 at 3:41 am

@Daniel – I guess we see this differently. I look at this as an organisation about helping out those who couldn’t concieve. Not just ‘about sperm!’ as you put it.

I’m not sure how many couples (struggling to have children of there own) will see the funny side? I can’t really say, as i’m not one of them. But I don’t see this mark accommodating for those who do take the situation seriously.

Justin
Mar 8, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Stupid idea. It is, however, a great example of a “forced” entry, really trying to make something work that doesn’t. If you have to try this “hard”, then maybe no means no?

Josh
Mar 13, 2010 at 2:12 am

Oh its a PENIS! lol

Josh
Mar 13, 2010 at 2:12 am

…/sarcasm.

evan
Mar 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm

“a chronic shortage”
That’s funny.

nick elliott
Apr 7, 2010 at 6:17 pm

ha ha, amazing that this logo is actually being used… i thought it was a joke. Apart from making a prospective donor feel like a tosser, in my opinion it is as subtle as replacing an ‘o’ with a diagram of an anus on the logo of a hemorrhoids cream.

Shua
May 25, 2010 at 1:40 am

I would have made the ‘d’ and the ‘p’ a sperm, it could have been an elegant organic form, still allowed for humour yet not make the donors feel like wankers – so to speak. “Dick and balls” is too obvious and infantile. Also it reads as Londbn as already mentioned many times

Alan
Jun 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Yeah, first thing I saw was the cock and bollocks, it really sticks out at you. Well done.

Hugo
Mar 15, 2011 at 6:13 am

okay, initial chuckle over..

the lightning rod distracts me so much that i can’t even read it, but with some effort:

Lodbn, :|

color use is good,I’ve always had a love for orange and black
I’m not offended by it in anyway, I think its fun, but
I have to admit though, if i was a gay single man, i would probably go here to pick up dudes.?? i can already see the icon with a colorful rainbow overlay.