2009-11-05 | Top Flight

Tags: , ,

TopFlight Quarterback Academy: “This is a camp for Quarterbacks run by a former 49ers assistant coach in Michigan. There are currently 200 plus athletes who attend including many D1 college QBs. The client wanted something that resembled the movie Top Gun’s logo. With the name being TopFlight and the tag line “tear the air”, it got me thinking of fighter pilots and I wanted to make something that looked like a pilot would wear on his flight suit. The wings were a natural choice and formed perfectly to the TF symbol. The colors represent action, respect, speed, and rebellion. A good mark for a Hero brand.”

Credits: Brandon Moore

14 Comments to “2009-11-05 | Top Flight”

EJSchultz
Nov 6, 2009 at 1:41 am

Red, black and white – very Roger Black; very 80s and early 90s, but still effective. I think this logo represents more of an air/fighter pilot academy or school more than a quarterback or football anything. It sounds if that is what they wanted, so I guess the mark is a good one. Personally, I would like the mark to represent more of what the school is about rather than a perceived image…

elizaveta efimova
Nov 6, 2009 at 3:45 am

this is goooooood.

Daniel Berumen
Nov 6, 2009 at 4:36 am

It’s interesting. A good design. The concept is good.

One thing to remember is that in sports, specially football the brand doesn’t have to represent the industry. Hence the choosing of many mascots that have nothing to do with football other than giving an image to the team.

Jobs like this you can be as creative as you can.

Good Job!

brandon
Nov 6, 2009 at 11:14 am

thanks for the selection, Jacob! its very much appreciated

Daniel i think you hit it on the head. the client and i both wanted to have a brand that wasnt like any other football camp’s. most of which appear to me to be very “high school” like. a lot of college athletes attend and ive been told some NFL players stop by from time to time as well, so we went in a direction that was in my opinion half fighter pilot and half Nike. we almost settled on a green and grey color scheme but both really liked the red and black

Kelvin Farrell
Nov 6, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I like this. Remind me of Transformers for some reason. But yeah, I like this, it has a good strong presence which fits well with NFL.

SCM Designs
Nov 6, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I’m on board. I like this one as it tells a fun story that does relate to the movie as both quarterbacks and pilots compete and I get that from the stance and presence the logo translates. But my eye keeps getting drawn to the line cutting through the “F”. I get that it balances the right side with the left, but I wonder if it needs it. Maybe a solid “F” would have been less distracting and still just as effective. But otherwise, job well done. The logosos the business.

SCM Designs
Nov 6, 2009 at 2:23 pm

… Logos is the business.” Sorry, not a great iPhone typist.

Daniel Berumen
Nov 6, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Wow! I see more positive comments than negative yet it has a low rating.

Adamo
Nov 6, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Sorry, but I don’t consider this is overly creative, clever, cutting edge or inspirational.
Yes, it satisfies the brief, but all-in-all this logo does nothing for me.

Daniel Berumen
Nov 6, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Like Paul Rand said: “Don’t try to be original. Just try to be good.”

Tolobek
Nov 6, 2009 at 7:48 pm

i think it could be more agressive. And that strokes dont seem good, think ist better getting rid of them or at least minizing them. it would seem better if F part gets closer.

AG Designworks
Nov 7, 2009 at 5:26 am

I think the delicate little lines running around the shape need to go; they add nothing to the strength of the form.

Not a bad logo, just seems very generic to me.

Adamo
Nov 9, 2009 at 11:42 am

Reminds me of remote control airplanes.

Andrew Burgess