2009-11-04 | Koda

This mark is used for a branding and marketing firm specializing in premium branding, often times the luxury sector. We wanted a mark that had timeless elements. Something simple that could be pictured on a luxury handbag, automobile, watch, etc. Although we don’t sell luxury products, we do market them and this approach has been quite effective for us. Lastly, our approach to branding and marketing is bold so we prefer a bold black and white color palette.

Credits: David Schoenecker

17 Comments to “2009-11-04 | Koda”

Ben
Nov 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm

To be honest, the first thing I saw was a film strip. I don’t know if it was the dotted border or the “Kodak” resemblance, but I expected something that has to do with filming or photography.

Marcel
Nov 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm

What is special on this? I mean is there a meaning, an idea behind it? Sorry but i can’t give any positive feedback…

M.Kovachky
Nov 4, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Agree with Ben, it does look rather filmish.

Dominic
Nov 4, 2009 at 11:41 pm

nothing speacial about this one…

Brad
Nov 4, 2009 at 11:50 pm

…next…

zuluglobe
Nov 5, 2009 at 12:09 am

reminds me of bureau of funeral services

SCM Designs
Nov 5, 2009 at 12:21 am

I can appreciate the explanation, but I’m also getting a “film feeling” from this one. I’m not getting a sense of a story behind it or how the logo tells the viewer about who/what it represents. It might render itself more elegant or say luxury better without the confining box. The box seems to be a common distraction here.

campuscodi
Nov 5, 2009 at 1:14 am

As a stand-alone logo it left me a bit “unsatisfied”
But after seeing the website, the logo is just brilliant. It firmly enhances the identity of the agency.

EJSchultz
Nov 5, 2009 at 1:52 am

Nothing special here – looks like a badge on luggage. The film references are justified; I agree with Brad… Next!

Daniel Berumen
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:21 am

I agree with Ben and SCM Design. I think the combination of the name and the box gives you the ‘kodak” feeling. SCM’s suggestion to remove the box seems appropriate.

I do like the typeface they used. It’s seems elegant.

To those comments like “nothing special” and “next”, how about saying something constructive, like why doesn’t it work or how would you improve it. If you have nothing else to say other than “it’s no good”, perhaps you should sit back and ‘just watch”.

And I also agree with campuscodi; the website is great.

Chris Siegle
Nov 5, 2009 at 5:04 am

When I first saw it, I liked it, the typography, the simplicity, but it was nothing spectacular. Then I saw the logo was for a branding and marketing company and it just lost even more points for me, if your company does branding and marketing, a logo should probably go more over the top or do things no one has ever seen before, this just doesn’t even come close to that.

I do really like the website, it does a a good job of matching the simplicity of the logo.

SCM Designs
Nov 5, 2009 at 6:05 am

In the spirit of logo critique, I have posted a logo on my blog and would love to hear comments as I’m open to input: http://scmdesigns.wordpress.com/2009/10/31/logo-design-everhow-identity/

Jason Schwartz
Nov 5, 2009 at 6:57 am

When you take a look at their existing website you will see that a good deal of the ornamentation and style from the logo is reflected in their “brand.”

Overall it’s a nice logo, but somewhat interchangeable for a clothing, or handbag label. Doesn’t really say “luxury marketing.”

amal
Nov 5, 2009 at 11:46 pm

agree with u all ….
simple and nice ….. but “KODAK” !!!!!

QF
Nov 6, 2009 at 6:22 am

I really like it. Simple, elegant and classy.

Sven
Nov 29, 2009 at 1:36 am

I like it too, …love minimalistic designs!

Designerkan