2009-11-03 | Cogent

Tags: , ,

Cogent is a web strategy firm. They pair psychology with technology to provide insight and develop helpful strategies for organizations online. In many ways they are doing something that most web firms only devote a fraction of effort to. Yet the strategy is so essential for success.

The logo starts with the most basic way to help Cogent tell their story. We chose to start with a classic yet not common fable that illustrates strategy making in a simple way. We chose the Crow and the Pitcher. The elements fit the personality of the company and allow it to feel more interesting than web strategy sounds.

Credits: Greg Ash, Able Design

15 Comments to “2009-11-03 | Cogent”

Kelvin Farrell
Nov 4, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Not a fan of this. I find it too difficult to read. I imagine many people would wrongly pronounce the name of the firm as a result of the logo.

Marcel
Nov 4, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Not a logo but an illustration. and yes, too difficult to read, looks like an amateur logo a bit.

Brian
Nov 4, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Have to agree with the above two commentators, I don’t think the average viewer would recognize this logo due to difficulty of reading.

Daniel Berumen
Nov 4, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I agree with kelvin. When first saw this logo I thought it said “Coen get”, and felt confused for a few seconds.

I do like the choice of color and how the crow interacts with the text.

campuscodi
Nov 4, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Unlike Daniel, I like the colors, it’s a good sketch….but no logo material. The text throws you off completely.

TK
Nov 4, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Nice logo with beautiful font and bird. And not difficult to read at all!

nelaii
Nov 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I really like it, as in how it looks, but I find it too hard to read.

zuluglobe
Nov 4, 2009 at 11:38 pm

nice sketch or precise illustration but no logo. it doesn’t represent company’s unique selling advantage.

Tolobek
Nov 5, 2009 at 6:16 pm

good color though:)

Amal
Nov 5, 2009 at 11:49 pm

sorry, but i couldn’t even read it !!!!!!!

Jonathan
Nov 6, 2009 at 12:32 am

I like the colors, however i have to say too that is difficult to figure out the name and the bird would be better not as an illustration.

Greg Ash
Nov 6, 2009 at 1:43 am

Thanks for all of your comments everyone. I just wanted to clarify a few points that have been brought up. The reading difficulty is purposeful. Our intention is to create a simple puzzle that requires more investment for comprehension from the reader. We also believe the mark itself doesn’t have to be read to be remembered. So if you get the puzzle wrong, that is ok, you will still recognize the logo. We realize this goes against many rules of logo building, but it also is a better representation of the company because of that.

Thanks.

QF
Nov 6, 2009 at 5:44 am

Greg,
With all due respect, and not to be a prick, you intentionally created a logo that is difficult for a person to read? And you expect them to invest precious time in figuring out your “puzzle”? Two questions:

1. Is this good design?
2. Is this reflective of the insight and strategy Cogent provides?

Kelvin Farrell
Nov 6, 2009 at 11:47 am

Have to agree with QF. Creating a ‘puzzle’ logo is all well and good but I don’t see the point if it leaves people confused by the brand identity. How will people know if they’ve ’solved the puzzle’? Will they try a number of company names and google them all until they discover it’s Cogent?

I don’t mean to come across as rude, I hope I’m not doing so. I think your thinking is very imaginative but perhaps used in the wrong place. In my eyes a logo should clearly identity a brand.

Katie
Nov 13, 2009 at 5:08 am

I disagree with QF and Kelvin. While perhaps less readable than “normal” logos, this whole logo is now a mark. The crow and color scheme are extremely memorable and the mark itself, identifiable at all sizes. Once you know the name, you don’t need to read it. When are you expecting that someone would come across this logo and not be able to get the name of the company? On a business card? On the Web site? Nike doesn’t even include its name with its logo – and that logo is constantly thrown out as one of the best logos ever.

A logo is intended to inspire, evoke, suggest. It doesn’t tell the whole story. This piece is certainly evocative, and it is definitely suggestive of something. My only question is whether it totally fits with the exact purpose of their business. They decided, yes, it does. I am not so sure I agree with that part, but as a logo, this is a successful design.