2009-10-25 | Neil Martin

Tags: , , , ,

Identity of a graphic designer. (Self) The whole ethos of creativty being limitless led me to believe that the sky is the limit. In other words, there’s always room to build on what has been before.  A hot air balloon device was developed to communicate this, with the colours representing UK nationality.

Credits: Neil Martin

13 Comments to “2009-10-25 | Neil Martin”

Jordan Joseph
Oct 25, 2009 at 1:07 pm

The original ‘BALLOON BOY’?

mathiew
Oct 25, 2009 at 9:44 pm

i like the logo .. really smooth .. but i think that the font can be more suitable/smoother. Wat abt print, how ur 3d glossy look work in print?

Dominic
Oct 25, 2009 at 11:56 pm

What is the font?

Neil Martin
Oct 26, 2009 at 8:44 am

Thanks for the comments, mathiew.

The font used reflects the pointedness of the bottom of the balloon and gives a good contrast.

The gloss and gradients are not a problem in print. They print absolutely fine on anything from bog standard copier paper to business cards. It’s not an issue.

Dominic, the font is Telegrafico.

Matt Cunningam
Oct 26, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I dont know, it seems a bit dull, doesnt hold any appeal for me sorry

Marcel
Oct 27, 2009 at 1:51 am

What if this Logo must be used on black? i think it won’t work at all!

Mark Tyson
Oct 27, 2009 at 2:16 am

People already think design is a lot of hot air.

designerkan
Oct 27, 2009 at 2:27 am

name is too long but nice logo..

Neil Martin
Oct 27, 2009 at 2:47 am

Matt, that’s fine. Can you elaborate though, please? I did have a clear reasoning for why my logo is the way it is, but in what way do you feel it doesn’t acheive what I want it to?

Marcel, the logo is already being used on black. You only had to go to my website to see that. My business cards are also black.

designerkan, originally, my full title was “Neil Martin: The Work Of” and then I changed it to read as above. My web address is theworkof.co.uk so it would be wrong to lose that.

James Swires
Oct 27, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Please take this in constructive form, to me it resembles a “Female Organ” or a Dragons Eye, Have you tried implementing the basket at the bottom of the balloon to back up your reasoning?

J

Mike Puglielli
Oct 28, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Neil,

I don’t see your logo…I see your name and an icon above it. What’s interesting is that if you were to have the logo self-standing, without text, what would it reveal…feel? We think about logos being a part of your identity, but this does not have it.

My issue is that I feel it is very corporate…and if that’s your direction, achieved. But it also does not give way to anything you may be as an artist. I think its a little caught up with current 2.0 trends and maybe you should look in another direction. Click your ‘contact’ page and stare at it. Maybe take a step back, the logo doesn’t fit the style of the page…or your site for that matter. It appears a conflict of interests or directions.

You have artistic ability, the balloon is well crafted and clearly understood. But it suffers from identity confusion.

Mario
Oct 28, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Nice icon.. i see a baloon and also a fish eye view of a red tie with a blue coat… But name is too long.. placement of name, colour and font will do wonders to this logo..

Andy Cawson
Oct 29, 2009 at 8:23 pm

nice observation Mario, to me the typefaceis far too heavy