2009-06-29 | Sean Orford

“Sean is a psychotherapist/author running courses and sessions in NW England.

Sean required more than just a logo. He needed a symbol – with almost religious connotations. There are many hidden meanings within the logo that transcend its (hopefully) appealing looks.

The ‘S’ obviously stands for Sean. There are two, wrapped around each other which highlight the multiple personalities within all of us and the fact that, every now and again, it’s good to take a look in the mirror (hence the reflected second ‘S’.

The heart shape created has an obvious link with love whilst the intertwined element subtlety shows the need for collaboration and understanding amongst people.”

Design process & in context here.

Credits: Edward Lamb of Dupe Creative

7 Comments to “2009-06-29 | Sean Orford”

luis
Jun 29, 2009 at 4:19 am

i like it very abstract

Greg
Jun 29, 2009 at 7:46 am

almost too abstract..

Jesse Pinho
Jun 29, 2009 at 8:19 am

Sure, it’s appealing… but to me, it says “marriage” more than “psychotherapy.” The heart and the intertwined S’s suggest a pair of lovers; certainly not a person looking at himself in the mirror. Although it’s certainly pleasant to look at, I just don’t feel that this logo serves its purpose very effectively. 2/5

James Hsu
Jun 29, 2009 at 3:44 pm

In my personal opinion, it’s too similar to the already established Stussy Logomark :

I understand the concept behind it, however I do believe there is a better solution than the reflected S. Another disconnect I made upon first viewing this logo mark was I was under the impression the double S was an acronym for something like Sean Samuels, only to later realize that this logo was developed for a Sean Orford.

Just my .02.

Ed Lamb
Jun 29, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Really interesting to hear yuor views. For those interested, I posted a case study to our blog a while back:

Cheers
Ed

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:03 am

it is simple, does the job

although I think more of some love guru logo than a psychiatrist when I see it. On the flip side, a love guru would use something more flashy than grey for the background

I like it, good job!

Sean Orford
Jun 30, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Hi,I am interested in all the comments and as the logo was designed for me I thought I would add mine. It does some very simple and complex things for me. It expresses love, that is the basis of therapy and all humanity, it refers to the entwining DNA helix, most importantly it takes the traditonal mirrored image of psychotherapy and takes it to a new level where we move from the western prooccupation with cognition to embrace emotion, it tells us that it is ok to feel. Simply it shows my initials S.O. and also my function S.O.S. I love it. Thanks Ed