2009-06-02 | Shift Creative

Design Studio.

Designer: Shift Creative

21 Comments to “2009-06-02 | Shift Creative”

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:03 am

this logo grinds my gears!
HAHA it’s a pun!

Good idea, I’m not sure about the color thou and (appart for the H and I because they are the logo inspiration) I’m not too excited about the font.

But the concept is just awesome.

Paul Randall
Jun 2, 2009 at 12:08 am

I really like this one. I’m a car fan and would have loved to have thought up something like this

Aimee Greeblemonkey
Jun 2, 2009 at 12:10 am

Very nice. Although the kerning is off a little between the S and H. :) And would have been cool to connect the F and T.

Ruben
Jun 2, 2009 at 12:12 am

Looks like a copy of “5th Gear”

Jon
Jun 2, 2009 at 12:16 am

it’s definitely a clever concept, but will “everyone” grasp the idea? I’m not sure. Then again, logos don’t necessarily have to cater to every market.

Also, the kern on the “S” from the “H” IMHO should be tighter, it’s looking a little lonely sitting out in the front.

Jacob Cass
Jun 2, 2009 at 12:58 am

Aimee and Jon, I had uploaded an old version of the logo by accident and have since updated the logo.

Nikhil
Jun 2, 2009 at 12:59 am

nice logo and colors…

Carson Shold
Jun 2, 2009 at 1:04 am

That is pure gorgeous.

Sean
Jun 2, 2009 at 1:12 am

Looks extremely like the Fifth Gear TV Show logo.

Tom OKeefe
Jun 2, 2009 at 2:07 am

the “Hi” is the same as 5th Gears mark. the only difference is a dot for the i is added. the 5th Gear mark is also slightly slanted.

If looking past the 5th Gear logo the one thing that bugs me is the negative space below the “i”

Arno
Jun 2, 2009 at 2:10 am

I don’t get how this has anything to do with the fifth gear tv show logo. they simply portrait a gear shift next to their logo type, which is barely creative. in this case however the type mimics the gear shift shape which IMO is a whole step further down the process.
it is a great idea, I probably wouldn’t have thought of it and I think it makes for a great and recognizable logo type.

Callum Chapman
Jun 2, 2009 at 5:01 am

excellent idea, really nice logo!

Jenn Steinhauer
Jun 2, 2009 at 6:23 am

This one is just brilliant. I wish I could say I’d thought of that. As for the people saying it looks too much like the 5th Gear logo… as far as I know, the diagram on a stick shift isn’t copyrighted so I don’t see an issue here. Besides… this one is far better executed. ;-)

Graham
Jun 2, 2009 at 7:02 am

@Paul Randall:

I too am a car fan. I don’t have to wish that I thought of something like this because I did. I did something extremely similar for a class back in November. Too bad I didn’t know about this or any other logo sites at the time… otherwise I’d have put it up, but now anyone would just see it as copying this. Bit irritating really. But I do thoroughly like it, and it’s also a bit more polished that mine was.

Igor
Jun 2, 2009 at 7:45 am

I couldn’t see it in my RSS reader. Very simple and very interesting logo – that is what makes a good logo:]

Sajjad Haider Syed
Jun 2, 2009 at 6:01 pm

very nice… it is like 5th gear mark (as few fellows have noticed) but it makes more sense here cause the designer used it as Hi where as in 5th gear TV logo it is only a symbol. very well done…

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:56 pm

oh I think I saw the old version when I commented (jacob did mention he changed it) because the font is not bugging me anymore.

I think it looks better like this.

Jan Zabransky
Jun 5, 2009 at 6:51 pm

One of the most creative logos. I really admire this work and I dont see too much in similarity with fifth gear!

Paul
Jun 10, 2009 at 12:37 am

Wow! I immediately went to this logo on the home page. Nicely done and I love the colors.

pher

Shift Creative
Jun 17, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I hadn’t even noticed I was featured on this site until I checked my referrers and saw this was one my biggest references.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Roberto Blake
Jul 23, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I think the color on this logo design works well enough. I also believe it would fine in black and white. I think it has good balance and manipulates eye direction in an interesting way. Excellent job on this logo.

I would have been interested in seeing this logo in another color though, a green may have worked for it.