2009-05-26 | Avid

At the center of Avid’s brand identity is a new logo composed of simple geometric shapes derived from the buttons, icons and markers that consumers and professionals recognize as fundamental to the digital audio and video solutions they use every day to enable their creativity. The new logo forms a visual connection to iconic shapes that represent “volume up, volume down, play, pause, record and forward,” signaling a unification of the company’s core audio and video offerings. The distinctive mark also spells out the company’s name in abstract letterforms. — Press Release

Discussion over at BrandNew.

The design was done by Wally Krantz (Executive Creative Director), Dennis Thomas (Design Director), and Sam Becker (Senior Designer) at The Brand Union.

21 Comments to “2009-05-26 | Avid”

Miguel Peixoto
May 26, 2009 at 12:28 am

Very nice work!

Dirk Leys
May 26, 2009 at 12:54 am

That ‘V’ is very annoying. It doesn’t seem to be aligned correctly…

Carson Shold
May 26, 2009 at 1:02 am

Yea it creates a bit too much space between it and the ‘I,’ still a great concept though.

Dario Gutierrez
May 26, 2009 at 1:09 am

It doesn’t looks professional.

Rachel Ortiz
May 26, 2009 at 1:16 am

great concept, but i’m wondering if it will be successful in being recognized as a brand vs. just a group of shapes. If a person knows Avid it’s easily recognized, but it may be much more difficult for someone (like my husband) who’s never heard of Avid before.

Jeanmarc Thomas
May 26, 2009 at 1:48 am

although the thought behind the construction is good, I could not really figure out the brand name at first glance. It is a bit too ambiguous to be read correctly I reckon.

Rahul
May 26, 2009 at 2:01 am

Very nice concept indeed. Cheers.

Lauren
May 26, 2009 at 4:35 am

It’s awful. I understand the concept of the design, but color, shape, form, space; NOTHING works.

Marc
May 26, 2009 at 5:32 am

I agree with Lauren, it looks like this was the start of the design process, not the end.

Daniela Zeckua
May 26, 2009 at 7:08 am

I don´t like it, at first sight, is not easy to read it. I agree w/Rachel.

Callum Chapman
May 26, 2009 at 8:19 am

I too agree with Rachel, I like it, but if I see it again in say, a years time, I’d most probably have no clue it’s a logo!

Igor
May 26, 2009 at 8:22 am

very similar to the logo of VIVA the music TV station

I don’t like it so much.

tommyc
May 26, 2009 at 8:45 am

yeah I agree, when I first saw it I was thinking it was the program buttons (volume, play, fast forward) for a video on this page.. I actually almost clicked them, looking for the ‘logo of the day’…perhaps distinguishing it with a secondary font or a byline atleast, but it is conceptually cool.

Alex
May 26, 2009 at 10:58 am

doesn’t really need the gradient. and the purple is bad too.

Govind
May 26, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Now thats what I call really smart work. Best part is that its so neat, to the point and directly associated with the products/services of the company that it represents…. great job in all

SuperDave4eva
May 26, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Solid concept, but I agree with the others that the spacing could be better and throwing out the purple would be an improvement.

May 27, 2009 at 12:07 am

nice concept, I never taught those radio controll buttons would form a word someday!

rds_nltsgrafx
May 27, 2009 at 1:18 am

Interesting and different but its still missing something.

Aslam A Memon
May 28, 2009 at 5:14 pm

very nicely done! gr8 work done

ArturDZGN
May 29, 2009 at 2:05 am

I think the lettering is very iconic.. it might lose reading, at first i didnt read “AVID” the “A” and “V” have a lot of strength and unbalances the other two letters.. it needed more work.

Tom OKeefe
Jun 1, 2009 at 1:37 pm

A while back someone sent me this logo and the first thing I said was “About time AVID changed their Identity” and followed with “this is damn EFFEN good” :-)

I love it. It fits Avid. Yes I can see if someone that doesn’t know anything about Avid seeing this without any knowledge of the company I would agree. It might be hard at first to read it and hmm get it.

I also love the purple gradation on black.

some may feel that it needs more work but when I look at this I know what those shapes represent and changing the shapes to look nicer and or to make the negative space between each look different would take away from what these shapes are. They are branded and people recognize them along with what Avid is all about. Having the shapes spell out Avid is just frosting on the cake. :)

Now this would of been a great Logo of the Month!!!!!!!