2009-05-22 | Tenth

“Tenth Church is a community of people from many different cultural, social, and spiritual backgrounds. Serving for over 70 years in the Vancouver area (with rapid change within the last decade), a bold modern approach was taken to reflect its inclusive personality. A simple wordmark was designed incorporating a graphic icon with conceptual themes of worship, welcome, transformation, outreach, and the cross.”

Designer: Nancy Wu

14 Comments to “2009-05-22 | Tenth”

May 22, 2009 at 12:03 am

I get an asian feeling about the second T

I know it is supposed to represent Jesus but I can’t help but feel like it has an asian look to it. Author’s name might help to that feeling too.

Maybe it is done TO look asian since it is in Vancouver BC that has the highest asian immigration % in all of canada…
I see what they did there!

Ethan Allen Smith
May 22, 2009 at 1:14 am

Arial Black for a logo? Really?

Carson Shold
May 22, 2009 at 2:18 am

Ethan, sometimes simplicity is best.

That said, I think there are other fonts that could better represent a religious aspect.

Bruce Colthart (@bccreative)
May 22, 2009 at 2:25 am

I have mixed feelings. On one hand I’m comfortable with it overall, especially if it’s a Christian-type church.I like the suggestion of arms-opened-wide, but I’m not as enthusiastic about the square block/head, because it’s also suggesting a heavy weight that either bowing the crossbar below it, or that crossbar is under tension [like a pulled crossbow] ready to launch the square boulder. I wonder if the tiniest white notch in the middle top of crossbar would help the suggestion of a human and still be a strong cross.

I’m also just a bit distracted by extra letterspace on either side of the cross; it kinda isolates TEN and H.

Push comes to shove though… it works.

Callum Chapman
May 22, 2009 at 9:19 am

I agree, simplicity for logos is sometimes best! I quite like the logo!

anon
May 22, 2009 at 10:18 am

I see TENiTH.. or TENiH…

Nancy Wu
May 22, 2009 at 11:25 am

Interesting comments…to respond to some: The typeface is Gotham Bold with some editing to the E. Wanted to avoid historical church cliches as the Tenth community is far from that kind of personality. Square form of the head keeps it looking like a Christian cross vs. a round head that wouldn’t balance out well and look cheap. The notch would be a distraction, unnecessary and hard to reproduce small. It’s not meant to be Jesus or a crossbow at all..it’s a person worshiping, not a crucified or lifeless figure, nor over-the-top joyful. Not meant to be Asian at all nor is the demographic mostly Asian.

rds-nltsgrafx
May 22, 2009 at 11:39 am

This is the logo of the day!?Must not be many submissions.I like the fact that its simple and plain but its too simple and plain!
Simple can also be creative.

wuht
May 22, 2009 at 11:45 am

I love how simple this mark is. Church logos can be so ugly or typical but I get this right away.

Pete
May 22, 2009 at 11:58 am

That mark is brilliant. The work appears effortless, and that’s part of its beauty and genius.

Ethan Allen Smith
May 23, 2009 at 1:21 am

Gotham Bold is almost worse than Arial. With Arial, at least I could have assumed that the designer was lazy, but that you looked for a font and deliberately chose this one is a little confounding. Gotham might speak to power and simplicity, but it certainly isn’t a worshipful font. It makes the human figure (which I originally assumed was Christ) look sad or stoic.

Gotham worked for President Obama’s campaign because of the surrounding branding. The logo was lively, the design was clean, and the message was sticky and exciting. For the Tenth wordform, there seems to be no life, no color.

Now, don’t get me wrong, the concept is fantastic. Done right, you can use the worshiper-as-a-t in any number of layouts without being limited by a simple wordform. A branding campaign using this concept could be a homerun, but this logo doesn’t reflect that.

Niecey
May 23, 2009 at 2:48 am

I bet it would look more like a person worshipping, rather than on a cross (as I also had assumed it was), if you brought it in a little at the armpit part of the T, so the sleeves were flared a bit.

I do like it though.

Megan McGonagill
May 23, 2009 at 7:23 am

Get black on white. -Guy de Maupassant
Like where its going, just need that extra little push.. don’t be scared

Cerise
May 28, 2009 at 9:22 am

Hi, I think this logo would look cool if you made the bottom of the dot/little square follow the curve at the top of the T