2009-05-17 | Fortworth Museum

The Fort Worth Museum of Science and History was originally founded as a children’s museum by a group of women in the rough-and-tumble, and mostly male dominated, “Cow Town” of Fort Worth, Texas in 1941. Over the years the museum was literally “loved to death” by visitors and it eventually became time to build a new one. Located in the architecturally rich Fort Worth Cultural District, the museum chose the famous Mexican architect Ricardo Legorreta and his son Victor to design its new space. Legorreta is known for his playful geometric designs and his use of a distinctive Mexican-influenced color palette.

More info at Pentagram.

Designed by: Pentagram

8 Comments to “2009-05-17 | Fortworth Museum”

Callum Chapman
May 17, 2009 at 1:11 am

I like it! Very memorable, colourful and modern!

MWilson
May 17, 2009 at 8:25 am

I really love the typeface used for the name of the museum. The mark however I’m not too fond of. It really doesn’t portray “science and history”. To me it looks like it should be used for more of an art museum.

Nikhil
May 17, 2009 at 9:05 am

Good one……..

Chris Siegle
May 17, 2009 at 10:21 am

i agree with MWilson, before I read ‘Science and History’ i thought the fort worth museum was an art museum, just by the mark. i do like the mark a lot, but i dont think that it matches well with science and history

Aslam A Memon
May 17, 2009 at 5:57 pm

i agree wid chris here, it gives a feel of an art museum rather science n history, however i like the design n the idea behind it, but the concept doesnt go well with the requirements

Nix
May 17, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I feel that the “blocks” should have the same size (note how they are different in the F and the M/W. I also think that in the typeface, sometimes the negative space is more visible, due to a stronger color.

Overall, I think it is a nice concept, but not amazing. Others have used the same idea with greater succes.

~ Nix

Phil
May 18, 2009 at 2:12 pm

The thought behind not only the mark but how it is used should be how every identity project is approached. The beauty of Pentagram is that they develop a seemingly meaningless mark and then bring it to life in the materials and application. This is no exception. I love it and it is very appropriate for the museum. I think it is great.

May 19, 2009 at 12:12 am

the letters in the squares take just a little bit too long to make out.

in sthe W and M the squares should IMO be replaced with triangles.

But I like the concept, it fits well with the whole Kids theme.