2009-04-30 | Accentuate

“Accentuate is a small graphic design agency from The Netherlands. We wanted a typographic logo that stood out. It had to be simple, modern and clear. Also there had to be a link to our company name. By modifying en reflecting the letter e’s, they now function as quotes, accentuating the company name.”

See it in use here.

Designer: Sergej Melissen

13 Comments to “2009-04-30 | Accentuate”

Eric Schultz
Apr 30, 2009 at 12:39 am

Why are there quotes to accentuate the company name and why do they begin in the middle of the word? This doesn’t make much sense to me. I am not too hip on the font choice either – if the e’s are to serve as quotes, shouldn’t the first one be set normally (not reflective)? This logo and its explanation are confusing to me.

Paul Randall
Apr 30, 2009 at 12:56 am

To be honest, I don’t see quotes, and I don’t see what it is quoting.

“ntuat” ?

Gregg
Apr 30, 2009 at 1:03 am

Wow not too quick on the uptake are you guys? It’s supposed to be an accent mark not a quotation mark, the name if the company is accentuate and that’s what they are doing to the logo…using accent marks to accentuate that word.

QF
Apr 30, 2009 at 1:52 am

Gregg,
In the description provided by the designer, they call them quotes, not accents. And accents go on top of letters, not to their right.

Muddled concept, muddled execution.

mara
Apr 30, 2009 at 2:04 am

love the way this logo utilized on business cards. appreciate simple modern design. i disagree with above, well executed concept.

Jonathan F. Mayer
Apr 30, 2009 at 2:28 am

Not too keen on this one. I don’t think they look much like quotes. When I saw it I thought they were nines, which would be really cool if the company had anything to do with the number nine. Might be a bit more clear if the eye of the “e” were smaller.

The business cards are pretty cool looking though.

QF
Apr 30, 2009 at 2:32 am

Mara,
I agree, the business cards are nice. But how is this a well executed concept?

The company is called Accentuate. They have take the two Es, reversed them, and turned them into quote marks. Why?

As Eric pointed out, if the goal is to have the Es be quote marks, why is the first one reversed?

As Paul asked, what are the Es quoting?

If, as Gregg thinks, these are accents, why are they not on top the characters?

Alex
Apr 30, 2009 at 3:22 am

I don’t really like the logo, but agree with Mara, great job on the cards.

SuperDave4eva
Apr 30, 2009 at 3:49 am

If I had to judge a graphic design studio by their logo alone, let’s just say Accentuate probably would not bet my business. The business card is cool, but the logo is questionable at best.

May 1, 2009 at 3:21 am

not making the quote for me, sry.

I don’t understand why the quotes start in the middle of the name and I don’t really like how it works.

The Talkmore logo was better with the same concept

Torrie Foster
May 1, 2009 at 4:03 am

Awesome business cards!
I like the logo, but I’m not sure about the font.
The accents look like quotation marks to me, but I think the concept is pretty clever.

Nikhil
May 3, 2009 at 2:59 am

I have seen this type of logo before……

Jason
May 12, 2009 at 2:43 am

The typeface (and name) used is similar to the logo of the global management consulting firm Accenture.

I did read “accentuate” but the purpose of the e’s wasn’t clear even after the explanation.