2009-04-21 | McDonalds

Tags: , , ,

Designer: Jim Schindler, 1962

26 Comments to “2009-04-21 | McDonalds”

Metal_Link
Apr 21, 2009 at 12:51 am

Hm… Never noticed the type was not in the center of the logo. One usually sees just the iconic “Golden Arches” on their own.

Paul Randall
Apr 21, 2009 at 12:52 am

Ubiquitous, and instantly recognisable.

Stephen Emlund
Apr 21, 2009 at 1:18 am

I’ve always been drawn to great design – when it comes to buying things – iPod, Mike’s Hard Lemonade, McDonald’s, etc. Maybe that’s why, in high school, I decided to work for McDonald’s for the next 6 yrs – and why when I get a client that already has a great brand, I’m that much more excited to work with them.

ESchultz
Apr 21, 2009 at 1:40 am

Can’t mistake this for anything else – worldwide

James Hsu
Apr 21, 2009 at 2:28 am

You’d be a liar if you said you didn’t know what the golden arches were. Hence, making it a successful (and memorable) logomark.

Nikhil
Apr 21, 2009 at 3:10 am

its simply great….

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:17 am

Problem with this one is that if they hadn’t spent billions on advertising over the course of years, this would be such an unrecognisable logo.

But they did spend all that marketing money so people now recognize it.

On a purely objective standpoint, this logo is mediocre at best. Easily marketable, yes, but not a great design, not a great execution and not even really differiencable from a lot of other generic logos.

Classic case of forcing a logo in the general public psyche by burning money.

brian
Apr 21, 2009 at 3:52 am

really?

Dominic
Apr 21, 2009 at 5:24 am

I woulf like to see the concept behind the logo….
there are WAY better logos out there…

SuperDave4eva
Apr 21, 2009 at 6:10 am

Da da da da da…

In McDonalds own words… i’m lovin’it!

I agree with some of the comments above that it is not the most powerful logo from a strictly design standpoint.
That being said, with all the marketing dollars that have gone into building the brand, there is no arguing that it has become one of the most familiar and popular logos of the entire world.

Shawn G. Strong
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:52 am

I get disappointing when I see logos like this on the site i.e. CBS logo and others.
What I mean to say is that I like seeing logos of businesses and organizations I’d otherwise, probably, never have heard of!
If the point of the site is to post a logo just see what people say about it, lets stick the Pepsi logo up there so we can tear it apart or the Walmart logo. I’d like to see what others say about it.

I’ll get off the soap box now and agree with DChuck. If the business it’s self hadn’t of been a success, this logo would be obscure.

Alex
Apr 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I think in this case it wansn’t the logo that made the company famous; it was the company that made the logo famous.

crazywabbit
Apr 23, 2009 at 5:43 am

Are these logo’s submitted to this site or picked from the internet by the owner of this site?

CM Cheng
Apr 23, 2009 at 12:48 pm

I also wonder why this logo is here. I am personally disgusted by this logo or more so by the McDondald’s Corp itself. I can think of so much unethical value behind the golden arches that I can’t just critique the logo by itself alone. Enough said.

clearmedia
Apr 24, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Brandwash…

Sajjad Haider Syed
Apr 26, 2009 at 2:16 am

The best thing about this logo (As no one have mentioned until now) is that this big M is written in a way that it read same from both sides and this is why the McDonald outlets have it standing in the middle and it reads same from both sides very clearly…

This is kind of rare thing in logos… and this is what I like about this logo…

Sajjad Haider Syed
Apr 26, 2009 at 2:53 am

reminds me of my one old logo that I made & unconsciously used same sort of M, but in my own way….

Tom OKeefe
Apr 27, 2009 at 11:52 pm

french fries bent to form the letter “M”. I’ve always been a fan of this logo. Even if you don’t care for the company it shouldn’t take away from the concept behind it.

Sklep Zoologiczny W?dkarski
May 3, 2009 at 9:23 am

You’re kidding me right?! McD logo here? Please… It’s already more icon that logo. You should promote some new logos and designers here, NOT trite and hell well-known logos…

KaZaaV2
May 4, 2009 at 4:19 am

…as someone else said, if it wasn’t for the company itself and it’s image, this logo would have been booted by everyone.

If McDonald’s’ logo was a “M” made out of 4 sticks, it would still be as popular as this one. I’m not impressed really, but kudos to the lucky designer who sold his logo to them :)

Chris
May 7, 2009 at 2:49 am

2.85 out of 5, rated

for a logo in the top 5 most recognizable logos in the world. Faith decreasing. :P

May 7, 2009 at 2:56 am

@Chris

The fact that this logo is recognizable is irrelevent. The fact of the matter is that this logo is of very poor quality. It became popular and widly recognizable because McDonald’s (successfully) sank billions in their marketing to put this logomark in everyone’s mind.

Nevermind MikkyD’s popularity and try to give this logo to any company which name starts with a M and look as you get turned down everywhere.

This Logo has 1 thing going for it, it is easily marketable… and that’s why we know it. Because of ginormous marketing.

gripes
Jun 5, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Actually, isn’t the design of the golden arches from the original structural design of the stores?

Jacob Cass
Jun 6, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Gripes, you are correct, well that is what it says in the book ‘Logo’.

Maff the Logo Designer
Sep 4, 2009 at 4:32 am

The logo looks great. Shame about the food :)

boxerdude
Jan 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm

It’s almost impossible to argue the merits or shortcomings of such a globally iconic identity. Yes, the billions in worldwide media buys and packaging have propelled the symbol into instant recognition, but that’s true of any logo. IBM isn’t exactly a design achievement but there’s no denying its position of notoriety. It would be a different conversation had we had the ability to discuss it prior to deployment.