2009-04-12 | Sun Microsystems

Tags: , ,

“Sun Microsystems develops the most innovative products and services that power the network economy. Guided by a singular vision — “The Network is the Computer” — Sun drives network participation through shared innovation, community development and open source leadership.”

Designer: Vaughan Pratt

16 Comments to “2009-04-12 | Sun Microsystems”

Paul Randall
Apr 12, 2009 at 12:07 am

I see the S, U and N, but it is far from an inspiring, or interesting logo

Jim K
Apr 12, 2009 at 12:11 am

I think the simplicity of this logo is very inspiring. The logo is down to the basics. No extras are needed to convey the message. This is how a logo should be.

Jeroen
Apr 12, 2009 at 1:26 am

I think it’s awful.
I also think this site is losing it’s credibility.
I don’t understand why logo’s like these get logo of the day.

Ed Kirk
Apr 12, 2009 at 2:38 am

I absolutely love Sun’s logo. It’s simple and memorable, and uses that optical illusion that makes you think for a few seconds before the lightbulb clicks on.

Mike
Apr 12, 2009 at 2:39 am

The Sun logo is one of those logos that stands the test of time, like ABC, Sealy, IBM or Ford. No logo is truly timeless, but it seems like those that last are uncomplicated and elegant. Often, these logos are so simple as to make people say there’s nothing special about them. I think it also makes people say, “Let’s update the logo.” Look at Pepsi – did it need a logo redesign? Does the new logo add anything positive to the brand, or does it just make it look more “today.” And how will today’s logo look in 10 years? Trying to rebrand a well-established brand by changing the logo is like trying to make a car faster by giving it a new paint job. But I digress…

Nikhil
Apr 12, 2009 at 3:21 am

Sun Microsystem is different & I like it because it is simple and impressive. This logo is being used for so long and whenever I see this logo I get excited…

QF
Apr 12, 2009 at 8:06 am

They should have had a sun coming out of a computer.

Conor
Apr 12, 2009 at 8:09 am

Always liked this one. Simple but great!

SGStrong
Apr 12, 2009 at 8:32 am

This is one of my favorite logos. The first time I swa it I didn’t understand but ever time I see it now, I fall in love with it again.

TrentW
Apr 12, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I’ve always loved this logo. The initial visual confusion made me chuckle to myself the first time i saw it.

There’s also an interesting way that the logo was implemented at one of Sun Microsystems offices in Gordon, NSW, Australia. The logo was turned into a cube structure where all the faces were the logo.

RCKY
Apr 13, 2009 at 1:32 am

Classic logo.
btw: … whenever a logo appers that hasnt f*#& pseudo 3D gradients and web 2.0 glossy surfaces some of you are disappointed. Trend whores….

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:23 am

call me slow but it took me some time to realise thu UN was making a S. So for a little while I was staring at this asking myself what was the concept.

I might not BE the general public but I consider myself one of them, there might be others like me that were left wondering.

Without taking the merit this logo has, maybe it could have been a tidbit clearer.

SuperDave4eva
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:18 am

This is one of the brilliant logos of our time… simple yet amazing.

kyle
Apr 15, 2009 at 5:40 pm

This logo is really brilliant! Anybody who says its awful has absolutely no clue of logo design…

Tom OKeefe
Apr 27, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I’ve always been a fan of this logo. As stated above “this logo stands the test of time” 27 years!!!!

maria
May 6, 2009 at 4:11 am

I always thought that this logo is so very clever. It’s a classic!