2009-04-01 | Matizmo

Matizmo provide cost effective design and marketing services to technology companies.  The idea was to be different from what design and marketing logos look like. So, there has to be little reference to those fields so that it can stand out. By using a star in an angle and cropped off, I manage to get an M which is the initial of the company.”

For those interested the font is Handel Gothic with some customisations.

Designer: Denis Wong

13 Comments to “2009-04-01 | Matizmo”

Preston Lee
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:56 am

I love how the negative space from the start makes the “m” shape. The type is impressive as well. Nice logo. After looking at it for a while, it also reminded me of that toy ball from pixar. :)

EJSchultz
Apr 1, 2009 at 1:16 am

I noticed the star right off, then the M. I am a sucker for negative space pieces that work (Fed Ex anyone). Nice job here.

Chris Siegle
Apr 1, 2009 at 2:39 am

Totally agree with EJ on being a negative space sucker, and Amen to the FedEx logo that’s one of my favorite logos ever.

Anyway, great logo, its iconic, uses negative space very well, and I love the font. It kind of reminds me of the font that Mazda uses.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:47 am

Good Logo!
not a lot to comment on is a good thing in my books!

Jamie
Apr 1, 2009 at 5:43 am

am I the only one who saw the M before I saw the star? I was wondering why the M was such an odd shape….

Dominic
Apr 1, 2009 at 6:36 am

Well… reminds me of metacafe :D

Max
Apr 1, 2009 at 11:07 am

nice.

For some reason, I woud have like the i to have a star as it’s dot

Shawn G. Strong
Apr 2, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I saw the M first as well but I truly love the star in the negative. Awesome.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:13 am

In a case like this, is there really a “negative space”

I mean some could argue the star is in negative space since it takes less space, but is it really the M? When you take the orange dot as a total, wouldn’t the M be something that has been taken out of the orange ball?

also, it is funny that whenever the negative space topic comes up, the FedEx logo is mentionned. Just saying

Brian Cassidy
Apr 3, 2009 at 8:25 am

I love this logo. The first thing I saw was the star > Read the name (loved the text!) > Looked at the ball/circle again and immediately saw the M. This logo took my eyes and mind through the perfect process to make it memorable. I love how the angles of the star are incorporated into the type. The repeating shapes (angles of the star and curves of the circle) give the logo great rhythm. Well done.

Logo of the day! | Matizmo
Apr 4, 2009 at 1:44 am

[...] We are pleased to have been selected for logo of the day here. [...]

Jake Coventry
Apr 4, 2009 at 1:50 am

Nice one Denis.. It is indeed an excellent logo.. and I am lucky enough to own it ;-)

Just to answer one of the q’s regarding using a star as the dot for the i. We did try this in the initial design stages, but concluded that it was overkill. We decided to use the star icon in other areas, such as the bottom of letterheads etc

E. Nigma
Jun 12, 2009 at 3:37 am

Im loving how a design from the ‘oh so terrible’ spec haven 99designs makes it on here :)