2009-03-21 | Kate Rose

“My business is unique wedding and portrait photography and the logo is used for my website, blog and printed collateral. I was looking for something that stood out in a sweet and quirky way, minimal yet memorable. The idea of love birds, nesting, singing, chirping combined with the clean, modern design, set a mood that represents my work and the type of client I want to attract. Every time I hand out my business card, I receive a compliment on my logo and I’ve had other photographers not recognize my face, or my name, but upon seeing my logo, they realized they had seen my work.”

Designer: Hello Lucky

15 Comments to “2009-03-21 | Kate Rose”

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:13 am

I don’t really like it.

By all means it’s not a bad logo! far from there. On a purely objective PoV it’s great.

But in my personal bubble, I find it too simple and too childish. Copypasted / resized birds take me back to my first MS Paint tries at Computer Assisted Drawing.

so All in All this logo must be great for its owner, but I wouldn’t use it.

Paul Randall
Mar 21, 2009 at 12:20 am

I think the stick legs put me off the logo, but overall it is quite cute. Mind you i’m not sure I could guess that it was a Photographer’s photo. It seems more arts/crafts.

Kristin Andrews
Mar 21, 2009 at 1:09 am

I think this one is adorable, Kate. Great logo. Shortening the legs might give it that final cuteness factor. Also curious why you decided to go with chicks?

EJSchultz
Mar 21, 2009 at 1:45 am

I am with DChuck (again) on this one. Looks like the cover of a kids book. But if folks are recognizing it, who am I to criticize?

Lisa
Mar 21, 2009 at 2:37 am

This opinion might be the result of working all night and the coffee not kicking yet but I think it’s sweet. Shortening the legs might make it cuter but it’s darling as it is.

James Hsu
Mar 21, 2009 at 8:51 am

Reductive, yes. Recognizable, yes. However, I don’t see how 2 birds illustrated is an accurate logomark for a photographer. Doesn’t seem to hit home with me.

Jacob Cass
Mar 21, 2009 at 11:27 am

James,
A logo design does not need to reflect what a business ‘does’, a logo is for identifying a company. Think about the Apple or the Mercedes logos for example, none of these signify that they are a IT or car manufacturing company – they identify the company.

I am not sure if this is what you meant by “I don’t see how 2 birds illustrated is an accurate logomark for a photographer” but I thought I should clarify anyway.

Thanks for your comments.

Paul Randall
Mar 21, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Jacob, those companies you mention have spent millions on advertising, and the logo is on all of their products – giving them a much better chance of having their logo recognised.

It isn’t neccessary to have a logo reflect the business, they are in, but it can help the association of a product or service to a new person seeing a logo for the first time.

miro
Mar 22, 2009 at 3:48 am

I really like the logo. I think it’s very modern and clean.
The long legs of the two birds remind me of the old antique box camera that came with a stand.

SuperDave4eva
Mar 22, 2009 at 12:55 pm

While I agree with Jacob that a logo does not necessarily have to portray what a company does, I must also chime in with a few of the comments above that I don’t see the branding power of two stick figure birds. Then again, if the photographer loves it and it works for her… that is really all that matters.

Jacob Cass
Mar 22, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Paul,
Yes they do however they were just two examples, there are literally thousands of other examples I could have used, well known or not so well known, I was just making a point that a logo is for identification. In saying that though, I can agree with you that a logo which associates itself with the business can help for first time viewers.

Jamie
Mar 23, 2009 at 11:46 pm

I actually like the long stick legs…makes these birdies unique. They also remind me a bit of a tripod, which goes with the whole photography thing. :)

Kristin Andrews
Mar 24, 2009 at 12:43 am

@miro you have a point with the old antique box camera — something I overlooked. Great observation.

Graham
Mar 25, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I really like it.
I think it’s nice and clean – not the usuall.

Well done!

Wendy
Jul 18, 2009 at 1:02 am

I like it. Very clean and unique.