2009-03-05 | Mira

Mira foundation tries to bring greater autonomy to handicapped people and facilitate their social integration by providing them with dogs that are fully trained to meet their needs. Do you see a blind person or two dogs?

You can see the logo on a white background here.

Designer: Unknown

26 Comments to “2009-03-05 | Mira”

Cristhian Bedon
Mar 5, 2009 at 12:33 am

I see both, the only thing I question is the red font color, why not keep it like the images – in white or black. It could be so it stays out but does seem to fit for me. Other than that the concept is great. Love the work it makes your eyes put in to see what type of image it is.

Charbel Jamous
Mar 5, 2009 at 12:45 am

I love it when they play the negative/positive way.
I agree with Cristhian on the red font.
Great job. Keep up!

Paul
Mar 5, 2009 at 1:01 am

I like the concept, but the logo seems rather sinister. The first thing which came to mind was V for Vendetta. I don’t know whether it is the red/black/white or the facial features.

I think it could be improved by making the logo a little more caricatured, but I really do like the logo.

Dominic
Mar 5, 2009 at 1:02 am

well, i dont really like the font. and the person is looking really evil to me. but overall its an interesting concept

Jane
Mar 5, 2009 at 1:03 am

Wow, what a funky hot logo! It is so refreshing to ‘see’……some serious logos for a change.

I love the red. In the first nano second of seeing the logo my subconscious interprets it as a guy with red lips.

brian
Mar 5, 2009 at 1:15 am

i think anyface with that much darkness to/around the eyes is going to look evil.

Tyler
Mar 5, 2009 at 2:50 am

I’m going to agree with Paul. I don’t think that the font needs to be black or white. However it does give off this dark feel.

The concept is brilliant though!

Conor
Mar 5, 2009 at 3:14 am

Without reading the description I get the initial impression that this is a logo for a horror movie production company.

Dominic
Mar 5, 2009 at 3:46 am

everytime I am looking at it i keep thinking “WHY SO SERIOUS?!” :D

Madhavi Sani
Mar 5, 2009 at 4:01 am

Logo becomes more attrative when you notice the two dogs. . . . . very interesting.

Troy DeRose
Mar 5, 2009 at 4:26 am

I agree, it looks very sinister.

Also kind of looks like Shepard Fairey’s Andre the Giant OBEY design.

I would like the colors for the design if it was for something else, like a horror movie. It seems like you would want some more inviting colors rather than something to scare the crap out of you. Other than that I like the idea of using the dogs silhouette as the eyes.

MattBru
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:01 am

Great idea with the dogs. I saw them before i read the caption. I agree with it being too sinister. Question: how is this going to translate on white paper?

Christian Tabacco
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:35 am

Great concept, but very sinister looking. needs more work.

Frado
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:38 am

I think is nice….but, it is tooooo much of a replica of the OBEY logo. Same style, same concept, same colors.

Emiloly
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:53 am

I like the concept as its very fitting with the design brief but agree with some comments about the type face, I think perhaps its a little too hard edged and may need softening up.

Benson
Mar 5, 2009 at 2:24 pm

The Andre the Giant ‘Obey’ sticker called, it wants its concept back.

all kidding aside, it’s an average logo.
average rating from me.
not bad, not memorable.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:59 am

I don’t know about everywhere else, but in quebec, this logo has been around for as long as I can remember.

My guess for red font is that it can be used on both white background and black background. The logo is used on many different mediums and is often on different gackgrounds. (paper header, Hockey pucks, Fridge magnets etc.)

Generations from now, I hope Mira still uses this.

KrazyCeltic
Mar 6, 2009 at 9:45 am

I saw the dogs very quickly, but the order of things I saw went like this: feminine face, vase/upside-down goblet, dogs. I like the concept but agree that the logo is rather sinister, almost threatening, and I did not and would not have made the handicapped connection without reading about Mira’s business.

Camille
Mar 6, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I saw the dogs right away and initially thought the logo was just okay (and had no idea what the logo might relate to). But I liked the logo a lot better after reading the description — the black & white dog profiles fit very well with the organizations mission.

I think the red text works well too. If the text were black, I would wonder if it was supposed to be part of the picture too.

Loren
Mar 6, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Great concept. I agree that the expression isn’t right though, too sinister. It really does make me think “big brother is watching.” And I don’t know if it’s as much the red as it is the typeface, but the type just doesn’t fit. Not that bad, I just think it could be touched up with a better execution.

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:08 am

People saying that the logo is sinister, I thing you are biased by the black background.

When pictured on a white support, it is not that bad. it usualy is bordered with a thin black line. I’ll try to find one to send to jacob, maybe update it.

Lyne
Mar 7, 2009 at 1:30 am

The Mira logo, drawn by talented artist Paul Gauthier, illustrates the harmonious relationship between human and dog, but also our own way of working, at the Foundation, to make life better for mankind. In the end, the one thing we have learned through the years is that helping and sharing is a privilege.

The Mira Foundation’s logo has received some twenty awards, including:

* the COQ D’OR, from le Publicité Club de Montréal;
* the MONDIAL D’OR, at le Mondial de la pub (The World Publicity Festival);
* the GRAND PRIX DE L’EXCELLENCE, from la Société des graphistes de Montréal;
* the MEDAILLE D’OR, from The Studio Magazine Award.

Visit http://www.mira.ca to learn more about the MIRA Foundation mission.

SuperDave4eva
Mar 7, 2009 at 4:54 am

Kinda reminds me of a comic book character, and I definitely get the sinister feel. Cool use of negative space though!

rich
Mar 10, 2009 at 2:59 pm

nice concept, nut the balance between the dog /eyes and the person art not well executed. I agree with all the other comments on the font in red, does not integrate well with the image and id too dominate.

Zebrafish Design
Oct 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm

OBEY

Débora
Sep 12, 2012 at 10:12 am

Am I the only one who dislikes this? I mean, it’s obviously not a bad concept, it’s actually very good, but not for a brand. Maybe using this for a poster or something, could be very nice and it would work, but I’m not sure about it as a logo… Imagine trying to reduce that?