2009-03-01 | Brand Union

“Enterprise IG, in a move toward aligning its 21 offices around the world announced that it has been renamed The Brand Union. Simon Bolton, worldwide CEO, said that adopting the new name and identity was an important juncture for the company.

The Brand Union’s new name, graphic language and logo were developed by an internal design team led by Wally Krantz, executive creative director, US.

“The symbol is based on the counterforms of the letters that spell ‘brand’ and ‘union.’ Their distinctive arrangement represents the process of bringing together the people, ideas, and touchpoints that brands need to thrive,” said Krantz.

Enterprise IG was founded in 1996 by several leading design agencies, including Anspach Grossman Portugal (New York), SidjakovBermanGomez (San Francisco) and Sampson Tyrrell (London). Since then, the Enterprise IG network has evolved to operate across 21 international offices employing almost 500 staff. Headquartered in London, The Brand Union also has a presence in Abu Dhabi, Bangalore, Beijing, Cairo, Dubai, Dublin, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Johannesburg, London, Madrid, Miami, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, Singapore, Stockholm and Tokyo.”

Source: Logo Lounge

The Brand Union Website

21 Comments to “2009-03-01 | Brand Union”

Lorne Pike
Mar 1, 2009 at 12:43 am

I believe this is the first logo I’ve commented on here that I didn’t love. It just doesn’t grab me as fully positioning itself in any direction. Time will ultimately tell whether or not it works for them, but I can’t help but wonder if they were really looking at their current clientele — with names like American Express, Bank of America, Unilever, Motorola and Deloitte — or targeting newer and “younger” businesses when they chose this look.

Bryan
Mar 1, 2009 at 1:14 am

Use of negative space is cool, however it takes too long in this logo to decipher.

Ashley McFarland
Mar 1, 2009 at 2:58 am

Very visually interesting and I like their concept.

But…I agree that it isn’t as effective as it could be.

I got the picture just glancing at it, but the “A” played some tricks on me…

Harshil Suru
Mar 1, 2009 at 3:08 am

Hey,
i hav been a constant follower of this site but 2day i feel the logo of the day “BRANDS UNION” is creative, very-inovative but not as good as being voted the logo of the day

Matthew Reynolds
Mar 1, 2009 at 3:10 am

Really, I must be the one to say different. ;)

I love this logo! It really is very creative. It does however take a little while to figure out what it says, but that’s just part of it.

I love it! :D

Mark Tyson
Mar 1, 2009 at 8:11 am

I’m not sure if I like it or not… My first impression was good, however looking at it some more I don’t like the ‘B’ and ‘A’, how they are offset differently. Also the spacing of ‘U’,'N’ and ‘I’ isn’t pleasing. It looks like they came up with an idea they thought would be cool, it didn’t quite work, but they forced it, rather than giving up and trying something else. So overall it’s a bit ‘forced’. IMHO.

Nix
Mar 1, 2009 at 8:30 am

I love it. Very original, I think. I don’t think it caters towards “young people”. In fact, I think it looks very post-modern, and the colors also works well.

Jeroen
Mar 1, 2009 at 11:42 pm

i love it. worked for me at first glance.
had no trouble reading it

Camille
Mar 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm

I agree with Bryan. I see where they’re going, but it takes way too long to decipher. Not one of my favorites.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:49 am

sry guys, I really don’t like it.

too confusing and unreadable IMO.

Harrison
Mar 3, 2009 at 8:35 am

I like this logo. It is very playful, and it does grab you and cause you to spend time trying to figure it out (whether you figure it out or not). It is somewhat successful in that respect.

However, I am not able to connect this logo to a company of this magnitude. It doesn’t fit. The logo describes what I would perceive to be a smaller, boutique agency as opposed to one with nearly 500 employees in 21 offices worldwide, servicing major international brands like Vodafone, Credit Suisse, and RBS. It is not successful in communicating the scope and scale of this company.

Perfectflow
Mar 3, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I like the color combination.

Logo Design Guru
Mar 4, 2009 at 5:21 am

that is an interesting logo concept. It’s a little hard to read though so I would say it is creative but not exactly practical. Thanks

Manu Mohan
Mar 4, 2009 at 8:12 pm

It’s unique and highly recognisable; not legible
But it’s a logo

Brian Cassidy
Mar 5, 2009 at 6:55 am

This is not the first time I have seen this logo. When I originally saw it I read Brand Union right away with no trouble and really liked the logo. Now after looking at it again I don’t like a few things about it. I don’t like how the B and A are offset and that the I is not really negative space. While I still really like this logo I see what Mark Tyson said about it being an idea that was forced into working.

@BCassidyDesign

Kevin Burr
Mar 7, 2009 at 1:55 am

Such a memorable solution. This logo sparked a trend that many try to follow but can’t quite capture as well. Nice job.

SuperDave4eva
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:04 am

I actually saw Brand Union immediately, I think I like it. It makes my mind work a bit, and I won’t soon forget it.

Tom OKeefe
Apr 8, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I’ve been a fan of this since the first time i saw this. I love the type, the negative space along with the color. as well as the other examples that were done for this project. GREAT example. YAY!!!!!!

Noha salem
Sep 27, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Still don’t get it

unreadable

Ron
Nov 9, 2009 at 9:51 am

buhh, I can’t see nothing…
this logo seems do not have target audience defined…

Logo Design
Jan 5, 2011 at 10:22 am

although nice, but difficult to understand. it would be difficult to get registered into the minds of the audience.