2009-02-22 | Snowflake

Tags: , ,

Luxair launched a winter campaign to promote the airline’s new winter destinations as well as their internal Christmas communication. The key element of this campaign was a logo which was used across all kind of material during the winter period. A very simple logo – a snowflake made out of planes – was created and used on the cover of the timetable, the internal and external Christmas cards, the invite and poster for their internal Christmas market, the headrest inside their planes, etc.”

Agency: Vidale-Gloesener

25 Comments to “2009-02-22 | Snowflake”

Lorne Pike
Feb 22, 2009 at 12:37 am

Nice and simple. Well done. Gotta love the simplicity of this one.

Patrick P
Feb 22, 2009 at 2:22 am

Very nice! Simple, easy to see and understand As well as functional without other elements.

Kristin Andrews
Feb 22, 2009 at 3:41 am

Ingenious.

Matt Wondra
Feb 22, 2009 at 4:40 am

Umm… I’m not so sure about this. The first thing I saw was 6 airplanes about to crash into one another. Here in the US we’re still pretty sensitive about that kind of thing.

I don’t think the simplicity and “ingenuity” here is worth it, especially if this logo is going inside the planes. The last thing you want to do as an airline is give subtle indications that the plane will crash.

Just my thoughts.

QF
Feb 22, 2009 at 5:19 am

Americans do tend to be very sensitive.

Shawn G. Strong
Feb 22, 2009 at 5:35 am

I didn’t even see the planes at first. I saw a snow flake then at second glance I noticed the flake was made of planes.
I think this logo is quite effective.

Alex
Feb 22, 2009 at 5:52 am

I like it. The only thing I would do is make the background lighter.

Kristin Andrews
Feb 22, 2009 at 7:08 am

Matt, you’ve shown me that I need to get outside of the design mindset and look at the comprehensiveness of the logo as a whole. You’re very right about the connotation it gives, especially in America. Thanks.

Kristin

Emiloly
Feb 22, 2009 at 9:07 am

heh, maybe someone should have a go at creating one with the airplanes flying away from each other?
I kinda like it, bad connotations aside.

Toby Cummings
Feb 22, 2009 at 10:45 am

Ya, it’s hard to put airplanes in a logo these days without bad connotations. I made one once with a palm tree shape in front of an airplane. The client said it looked like a missile shooting down an airplane. Yike, really embarrassing…

I do love the cleverness of it though. Great job!

max
Feb 23, 2009 at 12:40 am

my first thought was the same as matt’s, and i am not in the US…

I’m petrified of flying since watching “LOST” and all i can see here is that those planes are heading towards each other.

Even if i think that the planes are grounded, I’m unsure wether big planes have a reverse gear ? ( http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080511142120AAxya3E )

i like snowflakes though…

Jessica
Feb 24, 2009 at 12:33 am

I love this. There is no sense of motion in the design, so to me the planes do not appear to be crashing into one another. They could just as easily be parked in a circle. Very clever depiction of a snowflake.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:21 am

I simply love it, it looks both like a snowflake and airplanes.

I think a little word or the campaign name could have helped, but like the description says, it was mass published, so with repetition comes association so the name would have been redundant.

SuperDave4eva
Feb 24, 2009 at 9:34 am

I’d have to agree with Jessica on this one, and I am American. I think it is brilliant, and as it was used, I believe it was perfect.

Rob Russo
Feb 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Interesting what each of us see. I saw a snowflake right away and would not have thought of planes colliding/crashing. How interesting.

Nice logo, nonetheless!

Conor
Feb 26, 2009 at 2:52 am

Very good!!

crazywabbit
Feb 27, 2009 at 12:35 am

same effect of snow flake would have been achieved if the planes were facing outwards.

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:55 am

@Crazy Wabbit

Not really. the wings would be facing inward, the wrong way, and the general look would have been ruined. Also the tip of the tail is an important detail to the outline. it wouldn’t have worked with the planes facing outwards.

SuperDave4eva
Mar 10, 2009 at 6:26 am

@Crazy Wabbit

I agree with Chuck… wouldn’t work with the planes facing the other way.

Dan B.
Mar 17, 2009 at 7:21 am

I agree with the “crashing planes” remark. Upon seeing the logo for the first time, I thought that before I read the remark. I can’t help but wonder if the planes were all flying “outward.” Seems like that would also support the idea of many new destinations. However, it may be weaker from an aesthetic standpoint. Tough call.

cchs
Mar 22, 2009 at 9:47 am

It’s a good idea. Just one problem… it already exists.

chris
Mar 27, 2009 at 12:19 am

@cchs i like that one better. it avoids the crashing problem. Clever

Deanaux
Jul 27, 2009 at 5:34 am

this idea was taken from an aviation holiday card a few years ago. it’s bad to copy other peoples creative ideas. Be original!!!!!!!

mikeW
Oct 31, 2009 at 1:41 am

see all these planes crash into one central location. is that the idea? honestly should have had the planes going in the other direction.

DJ
Oct 22, 2010 at 2:24 pm

My wife, who is Thai, saw planes crashing – it has nth to do w/”sensitivity” IMO. It’s planes crashing – that kind of “convergence” isn’t so good. The planes could have been heading the other direction(s)…