2008-12-05 | Norah Jones

Tags: , , ,

Designer: Raja

17 Comments to “2008-12-05 | Norah Jones”

Matt
Dec 5, 2008 at 2:36 am

Is this for Norah Jones, the singer/songwriter?

If it is, I think it’s pretty poor. This logo doesn’t speak to the Norah Jones “brand”. The Escher-esque N.J. logo is definitely creative, but the strong angular design and the corporate typeface scream “Business!” to me, not “Uber-sexy soothing jazzy singer.”

So kudos on the creativity, but I don’t think this really represents Norah Jones very well.

Alternatively, if this is not for the singer/songwriter, those comments may be moot. :)

David Crawford
Dec 5, 2008 at 2:39 am

Even if it’s not for the singer, I think it’s still pretty poor, generic, and a bit awkward.

oak
Dec 5, 2008 at 2:45 am

It seems like the two very lightest faces should be parallel to each other, and without that, the middle tone gray face of the shape has nothing to keep it from dominating the rest of the shape. Something about the bottom-most corner of the icon strikes me as unresolved. It just seems like the points that make up that corner are out of place. They look like they want to be a few pixels higher so that the whole corner structure “locks” back into the anticipated footprint of the larger icon.

That said, cool concept to try to work the N and the J into the mobius strip-esque shape. I dig that.

Also, since I’m assuming this isn’t the singer Norah Jones’ logo, what about a simple, sans serif one word line under the name that indicates profession? “Designer” or “Creative Director” or “Escher Fan.” That way the mark not only communicates what Norah Jones does, it also immediately informs the user that this mark doesn’t belong to the first Norah Jones we’re likely to think of. Just a thought.

Josiah Jost
Dec 5, 2008 at 3:54 am

The designer for this logo is Raja Sandhu. It was a proposed concept for Grammy award winning singer Norah Jones.

Michael Sacca
Dec 5, 2008 at 5:54 am

ouch. He has some good work on his site, could have put a bit more effort into this one though.

Emiloly
Dec 5, 2008 at 6:51 am

At first glance I thought that this logo was a bit benign. The 3d logo would probably suit infrastructure better (In fact I am sure I have seen it in use in just this field.) I’m reluctant to slam it too much but it does seem very disconnected and unresolved.

Adam
Dec 5, 2008 at 9:10 am

I have to agree with Matt here, this logo invokes no connection to Norah Jones, the singer/songwriter and just screams ‘lack of research’.

This logo could work well in other fields. Just not this one. Sorry.

Jacob Cass
Dec 5, 2008 at 11:57 am

Thank you all for the clarification on this logo and on identifying the logo designer. We had not known it was for the singer / song writer and if had known probably would have decided it was not appropriate. But on the other hand it is a very creative mark, although like some people have pointed out, it could do with some improvements. Thank you for your feedback.

Raja Sandhu
Dec 5, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Hi Everyone -

I’d have to agree with most of you on your points. I had done this yearrrrs ago as a proposal for a promo CD cover that never came to fruition. I didn’t submit the design to this site either. I should also mention that this logo here was not presented as is rather a part of a CD cover and poster where the main theme I was given was ‘enigma and perplexity. It is poorly designed they way it is shown here but wasn’t much better back then I must admit.

Yet another reminder to update my web 5 year old web site :(

Thanks for posting regardless.

- Raja

Josiah Jost
Dec 7, 2008 at 4:44 am

Thanks for the clarifications, Raja. I do agree that it may not be appropriate for Norah Jones the singer, but I must say that it is a genius solution for a ‘enigma and perplexity’ of the initials NJ. Very creative!

Raja Sandhu
Dec 9, 2008 at 2:14 am

Thanks, Josiah!

Galfurion
May 22, 2009 at 2:22 am

I love Norah Jones (the singer) but I think this logo resembles more an architecture office then a soft voice jazz singer!

Laurence Rao
Sep 3, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I am imagining a more plush logo when I think of NJ, this is a bit to hard or rock-metal, to me.

Laurence Rao
Sep 3, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Apart from that, I think you’ve got a heavy-weight logo
portfolio. RESPECT YOU FOR THAT!

Raja Sandhu
Sep 4, 2009 at 12:44 am

Thanks for looking, Laurence!

30 inspiring logos | Designer Daily
Sep 16, 2009 at 8:05 pm

[...] Endless loop mixing a “n” and a “j”. Many seem to dislike it, but I find it good. Found here. [...]

Xanthe
Jun 3, 2010 at 11:22 am

Wow that really is a useful list. I know what I want to do but I can see it being useful for others. Loved it!,Babette